Chapter 36 - Cairo II

Before this chapter starts, I'd like to thank my one of my best friends in the whole wide world,  WildAshChronos for helping me with this first sequence of the chapter! And I apologize again for the long pause between updates. I am now done this semester and graduating from my college in fact, so I should have more time to write! (Aside from job hunting ^^").

Also the ending scene in this chapter is based off the comic by gunnslaughter on Tumblr, you can go there to check out they're incredible comics and art pieces of Overwatch, Breath of the Wild and much more! 

Without further ado, let's jump right in!

*******

The streets were a little too quiet as merchants and vendors quickly locked down their shops and people were escorted off the main street or back into their homes. Fareeha and her team were decked out in their Helix uniforms, which were state of the art rocket powered suits that allowed them to soar and hover in the air like birds with a rocket launcher as their weapon of choice. 

Genji armed with his swords and shurikens, Hanzo with his storm bow, McCree with Peacekeeper, and I was given a pistol and a bullet proof velvet armored vest and helmet by the Helix team. They showed me how to put it on and McCree quickly reviewed the safety locks and mechanisms of the weapon, just like he had done times before in our training sessions together, before flipping the weapon to grab the handle before extending it over to me, "We got yer back," 

I recalled grasping the weapon and feeling a burst of fear, adrenaline, and excitement all rolled into one. It made me realize that this was my first mission with the team. My first proper mission. By proper, I mean a mission where I'll be willingly joining a fire fight. Not accidentally getting caught in the middle of a fight like once before in Numbani. While I did work with them, I felt as if that didn't count because I wasn't originally suppose to be there. 

My nerves were in high gear as everyone was huddled close together in a large flock. Fareeha took front point, leading the way as her team gathered around myself and the rest of the Overwatch strike team. I stood behind Jesse while Genji and Hanzo covered my rear. It appeared everyone was on edge. 

"Copy that," Tariq responded to a report through his headset as the feed cancelled out, his red helmet shining in the sunlight. He looked over towards Fareeha, call-sign 'Pharah', who's blue armour shined as brightly as Tariq's ruby red plating as her yellow visor peered over at his direction. "The last of the civilians have been evacuated," 

"Good," She nodded her helm as she completely turned to face the team. "Let's split up into two teams. Genji, Tariq, and myself will take the high ground and scout a head on the rooftops. Jesse, you, Hanzo, Hope and Mahmud will watch the ground," 

"Yes ma'am," Tariq and Mahmud saluted their captain before taking their positions. 

Pharah and Tariq's jetpacks activated as their engines roared online and within a flash, the pair leaped into the air, hovering up towards the closest building as Genji followed close behind them, climbing up on the side of the building and rendezvousing with them on the roof. Fareeha peeked over the edge of the roof, signalling the rest of us to keep moving down the street towards the plaza. 

"Lead the way, Mahmud," Jesse encouraged with his signature charm, brushing a piece of his serape to the side. 

"Keep your eyes peeled, they can appear at any corner," Mahmud cautioned as he raised his weapon to peer through the scope, taking careful steps as he led the rest of us down the streets.

I attempted a pattern. Scan my left for a few seconds, then switched over to my right, then peered up towards the rooftops for any signs of snipers or the status of the others. My heart was pounding in my chest, I could hear its thumping through my ear drums. I breathed through my nose trying to calm myself, my grip on the pistol tightening just a tiny bit more than before.