Chapter 8 - Mercy

Stealing one of the Deadlock gang's motorcycles, I rode with McCree as Tracer used her "blink" ability to keep up with us as we rode out of Deadlock Gorge and back to the shuttle.

The ride was actually quite thrilling. When I was old enough to get my drivers licence, my parents practically forbad me from riding one. My dad would always let me check them out and pose on one whenever he'd taking me to the annual Autoshow, but that was really it. The closest I've ever really come to riding a motorcycle were the times Dave and I went to the arcade and raced each other in a VR Racing game.

"Enjoying the ride?" McCree spoke up over his shoulder.

"Having a blast!" I replied, a wide smile on my face.

"We should be coming up to the shuttle just now you two!" Tracer yelped, dashing beside them.

"Race ya there!" McCree exclaimed as he revved the engine, increasing the vehicle's speed.

Tracer laughed. "Like we haven't been doing that already?"

I shared a laugh with the pair as I glanced around the area and something caught my eye. I peeked downward, squinting my eyes at one of the rear view mirrors of McCree's motorcycle. I saw some dust clouds forming behind us, and I could have sworn I saw a slight shine of metal. I turned my head back to try and get a better look at the scene. I could swear it looked like the faint resemblance of another motorcycle.  

"Um, McCree?" I spoke up, tapping his shoulder. "I see something behind us!"

McCree turned his head, briefly looking at me before tilting his head to the side to get a better view. He squinted his eyes to try and get a better view until his eyes widened. "It's not something, it's someone. Hang on!"

He revved the engine again to make it go even faster. Acting on instinct, I moved my hands from the cowboy's shoulders to wrap my arms around his stomach, worrying I might fall off the bike. "Sorry!"

"Don't be," he yelled. "Whatever you do, don't let go!"

"Obviously!"

"I'll cover you!" Tracer shouted as she brought out her blasters. She back tracked her steps and blinked backwards, firing a series of blue bullets at our follower.

The motorcycle seemed to be impervious to her bullets. It was also different in design to the cycle McCree was riding, so it wasn't another member of the Deadlock gang following us. I watched as the driver of the opposing cycle reached to pick up something from the side. I slowly began to realize what it was when the driver aimed it at our direction. It was a pistol.

I recognized that pistol.

Which meant that I recognized the driver.

"It's Reaper!" I screamed.

He fired a shot, the bullet soaring past Tracer, just barely missing her side as it went straight for the back tire of McCree's motorcycle, and the vehicle began to spin out of control.

"Hope!" McCree yelped as he shifted his body around, wrapping his arms around my body as he pulled the two of us off of the motorcycle.

I heard a loud "BLAM!" as the motorcycle exploded behind us, McCree using his body as a shield to protect me as best he could, the two of us tumbling across the warm ground and dust. My face was slammed into McCree's chest, my eyes locked shut as his metal hand protected the back of my skull and his other arm wrapped firmly around my back. I could feel the wound on my arm from earlier this afternoon pulsing, and I felt pain all along my legs.

McCree coughed, his chin tucked over my head as he pulled back slowly. "Kid... you okay?"

I opened my eyes slowly, glancing over to the side as Tracer blinked towards us. Reaper idled in the distance as he watched us for a moment before pulling back on his bike and taking off into the sunset.