Chapter 24 - Numbani II

I tried to take my mind off the event that just occurred earlier that afternoon, but I just couldn't do it. Every now and again whilst helping Winston with more work in tracking Doomfist, I kept getting distracted, thinking about my conversation with Sombra. Looks like there was a report of a low scale politician of some sort getting shot in Italy. It may not seem related, but according to Athena, there has been a surge of Talon activity there before the attack at Winston's workshop. We were updating the NSF of the find when Winston finally seemed to notice my behavior.

When he asked me if I was feeling alright, I just kinda. . . froze. Could I tell him what happened?

But Sombra hacked my communicator somehow in order to message me. Is she listening in to my conversations right now? Is she monitoring me? What if I tell the truth, and the next thing I know, she makes the call and Widowmaker could kill my brother?!

So. . . I ended up lying to Winston.

It didn't feel good.

In the end, I told him that I was just tired, and that I wasn't feeling well. Made up an excuse that something I ate earlier that day probably didn't agree with me. In a sense, I wasn't wrong. Thinking about what Sombra said made my stomach do back flips, and it actually did make me sick.

The scientist hummed as he nodded with understanding, letting me stop early for the night. Genji was kind enough to prepare a cup of herbal tea for me before I was sent off to my room. I felt bad about accepting it, but maybe it would help me calm my stomach and nerves for a bit.

I sat against the headrest of my bed, pillows propped up against my back as I took a sip of my tea. I stared at my reflection through the drink, my hold on the cup tightening.

My brother's life was on the line. . . but could I really trust Sombra to keep her word? Was that a risk I was willing to take?

I pulled my smart phone out of my pant pocket, unlocking that screen as I opened my contacts folder and tapped Dave's name. My thumb hovered over the call button. I so badly wanted to know if he was okay. This was all happening right under his nose. He is completely unaware that his life is hanging by a thread.

But what if Sombra is tracking my phone somehow? If she knows who I am, did she hack it too? Surely she's gotten my number. . .

Setting my cup of tea to the side, I reached into the bedside table drawer, pulling out a tiny USB. Winston designed it as a "virus cleaner". It can scan any electronic device and detect if it's been tampered with by an outside party it doesn't recognize. In this case, Sombra and Talon.

I inserted the USB into the charger input of my phone, and the display on my screen changed to Athena's symbol.

"Hello Miss Ivery," The AI greeted. "How May I assist you?"

Right. . . Winston must have implemented a part of Athena's AI into the USB. It's smart really, she sure knows her stuff.

"Can you run a security check on my phone, please?" I asked.

"Of course," she complied. "Give me a moment,"

Her symbol vanished and was replaced with a progress bar, steadily going up at soothing rate. Once it reached the other end, the blue bar glowed green.

"Scan complete. No viruses or any other bugs detected in this device," Athena proclaimed.

"Thank you, Athena," I smiled politely. "I just need to unplug it, and my screen will return to normal?"

"That is correct," she confirmed. "If you don't mind me asking, but why did you want me to run a security check?"

"Oh. . . Well, with what happened earlier last week, I guess I'm just feeling a bit paranoid, that's all," I replied, rubbing the back of my neck.