Chapter 39 - Ana II

The team and I left under the cover of darkness. Once curfew was put in place, and the rest of Fareeha's squad had fallen fast asleep, the five of us slipped out of the mobile headquarters and quietly made our way through town. The full moon was shining bright in the night sky, stars twinkling like diamonds. You couldn't get a view like that out in the city. 

We went over the plan during my training review with Hanzo and Genji. We'd make our way out of town towards the Pyramids and using the clue Ana provided, search the area for the correct Necropolis where she was hiding. I wasn't sure how many exactly there were within the dessert. For all I know there could be dozens of them, maybe hundreds, but that last bit feels like an exaggeration. Then again, they were built thousands of years ago by the ancient Egyptians so it didn't sound completely far fetched. 

"Is this everyone?" A middle aged man spoke quietly, keeping his voice to a whisper. 

"Yes," the woman nodded. "Please, take us to the pyramids. We must move quickly,"

Fareeha had called up a an old friend who worked on tour guides for traveling tourists. They used one of his old trucks as the six of them drove out of the city and onto the dessert road. The poor parts of town were quite, as if it were a ghost town. Crossing through the downtown district was a bit more lively but nothing out of the ordinary. Within a few minutes of travelling, we were outside the city. 

Fareeha sat up front in the passenger seat next to our driver. Hanzo and McCree sat in the middle row while Genji and I took the back seats. I listened to some music on my phone to try and calm my nerves a little bit. Tonight I was finally going to get more answers about my grandparents death, and hopefully uncover more information about Project Disciple. 

Arabian Nights allured my ears, the music almost completely fitting with the outside world around me. Turning in my seat I looked outside the back window of the jeep to see the city of Cairo getting smaller and smaller, the sand sweeping it from few. It was like the dunes were swallowing it whole. The geographical landscape of the land has changed the last few decades. More sand and wind storms plagued the country, including increasingly warmer weather. 

"Hope," I felt a hand on my shoulder. Glancing over, I meet Genji's gaze through his visor. "Are you going to be okay?"

I smiled softly at the cyborg. "Yeah, I think I will, I got you guys to back me up,"

"You're darn tootin' right, kid," Jesse smirked in response.

Hanzo gave him a strange look for his odd reply but non the less nodded curtly in my direction in agreement. 

My smile graced their faces before locking eyes with Fareeha, nodding confidentially. "Let's go find your mom," 

She returned the nod before refocusing her attention to the road a head. I turned my gaze to the side window, looking out all the sand and the dark beautiful night sky. It was breathtaking. You could get a view like that pretty much everywhere here. Maybe that's the true beauty of this place. 

The music helped pass the time. The music along with the slight rocking of the jeep travelling along the dirt path almost lured me to take a nap. I was still feeling some of the bruises from my fight with Reaper so taking a nap to the Pyramids sounded really good. I should have managed my time a bit better then, cause the minute I shut my eyes the jeep came to an abrupt stop. 

My head jerked forward as I shook myself awake, "What happened?"

"We've arrived," Hanzo answered as he followed behind Fareeha in exiting the vehicle. 

"This is as far as the guy can take us after dark," Jesse quickly added as Genji climbed out after his brother. Jesse motioned his head to the side, signalling me to follow him. "Come on,"