Chapter 5 - Widowmaker

The sun had already set as Tracer and I made our long walk through King's Row. We were nearing the center of the district when we discovered something happening in the square. It looked some sort of protest was going on. It was causing one heck of a commotion, I'll give you that. Humans and Omnic robots mingled together, shouting, chanting, holding up signs.

I even noticed a security guard, a man in a black suit. He was standing to the right side of a small stage, scanning the area. There was a podium up at the front with a microphone attached to it.

"Is someone suppose to be giving a speech tonight?" I spoke up as the two of us slowed down, scooping things out.

"Oh, I remember now!" Tracer exclaimed with realization. "Mondatta is supposed to be speaking at this rally!"

"Mondatta?" I repeated slowly, processing the name over and over again in my head.

That's when I came to realize that I did in fact know that name! I did a history report on him back in high school! Tekhartha Mondatta is the leader of a group of Omnics called The Shambali. Their mission is to have humans and omnics come together into societal harmony, after what occurred following the Omnic Crisis. 

"Oh, I've seen photos of him but I've never seen him up close before," Tracer smiled as she glanced my way, motioning her head towards the crowd. "Can we check it out?"

"Um," I scratched my head. "Let me check with Winston first."

"Got'cha!" Tracer gave me a thumbs as she stepped forward, taking a look around at the crowd.

I stepped to the side, activating the communicator the Gorilla gave me, patching through to his frequency. "Winston? Are you there?"

"You've been gone for a while now, Hope. Did you find Tracer?" He asked.

"Yep! I have her with me, and we're on our way back now," I explained. "But it looks like some sort of rally is forming in the square. Mondatta is supposed to be speaking and Tracer wants to check it out. Do you need us back at the ship right away?"

"That was the original plan," Winston recalled with a harsh cough. "But the Engine Accelerator starting malfunctioning as I was installing it. I can fix it, but it'll take me a while."

"Ouch, that sucks," I hissed with disappointment.

"Yeah, it's not exactly what I wanted to happen tonight," Winston huffed. "Give me a couple more minutes to fix this, then I'll send for you two and let you know when the ship is ready for take off."

"Copy that, Winston," I obliged, disconnecting our chat. I turned and walked over to Tracer, catching her attention. "Winston is just repairing the ship, so we can stick around."

"Perfect!" She cheered, "Let's get a good spot!"

I powered off my hoover scooter, picking it up and moving some of the parts around as I turned into a metal backpack. I strapped it onto my shoulders before Tracer gently grabbed my wrist and pulled me along with her into the crowd of people.

It wasn't a huge turn out, but there were still quite a few people around. I should try and snag a photo of the Omnic Monc for Dave when he gets up on stage.

Dave... wait a minute! I complete forgot I promised that I would get him a present while I was here in London! I  smacked myself in the forehead, rubbing my hand down my face as I cursed quietly under my breath, scanning the area around me. I left now, I might be able to pick up something from a local gift shop.

But before I could speak up to Tracer to let her know of my situation, the crowds started getting louder as they all began to huddle a bit tighter together. I looked up towards the stage to see Mondatta himself, dressed in a white and yellow robe with 9 blue blips on his head in the shape of a square, making his way up onto the stage, waving at the crowds as they calmed their cheers.