Chapter 26 - Prepare Your Defenses

The day came to an end finding one new lead on Talon's whereabouts. Jesse and Hanzo gave the group a call in the early evening to update them on their investigation, as they failed to originally get back to them yesterday. Winston gave the rest of the team back in Eichenwalde a call and connected them to the stealth teams com-link, so they too could hear their progress to keep them up to date. 

Before the hit on the Italian politician in Venice, Talon Agents Widowmaker and Doomfist were spotted in a casino in Monaco. The scientist speculates that Akande was most likely trying to gain some extra funds for Talon's operations, now that he's (and I'm quoting McCree on this) "Back in the saddle again." 

The table they were playing at was overseen by an Omnic named Maximillien. A quite wealthy Omnic, actually. Turns out he actually owns and runs the entire casino. Now it made sense as to why Doomfist would go to him to look for some money. Perhaps he's working with the organization as well?

Coincidentally the night after these events took place, the Omnic just vanished. When Jesse questioned one of the employees while trying his hand at a poker game, Max apparently took a "leave of absence" and wouldn't be back for a couple of days. 

But that's not all. Hanzo also added that it looked like some sort of brawl occurred the same night as the Talon Agent's visit, and the casino covered it up from the press! No thanks to their boss, most likely. After sweet talking their way around and bribing and "convincing" the right people to talk, it was revealed that someone else within Talon placed a hit on Doomfist. Apparently not everyone within the terrorist group is happy that the Nigerian muscle is out of prison. 

As the group talked, I glanced down at my communicator to check the time. 9:30pm. I felt as if I should have reported my findings to Sombra hours ago, but I couldn't find the right time with working with the others all afternoon. All I have to do is send if off and my Dave will be saved. I just need to try and calm down and not draw attention to myself. 

"Infighting within their own ranks? That's a first for them. . ." Genji commented. 

"It does sound quite puzzling to say the least," Winston agreed. 

"Would something like this be a good thing?" I spoke up, sitting on the couch in between Lucio and Genji. "I mean, let them crumble on their own and do the work for us?"

"Maybe, but plans like that can go south pretty quickly," McCree reminded gravely, leaning back against the head-rest of his bed, Hanzo sitting on a chair closer to the video feed screen. "Does Blackwatch's Uprising ring any bells?"

I gulped nervously, ducking my head with a mumble, "Forget I said anything then. . ."

I felt a sudden warmth linger along my left shoulder. Glancing up, I discovered Lucio placed his hand there as a sympathetic gesture, nodding at me with a small smile. Don't worry, it's all good! At least that's what I think he was trying to say, anyway. 

It was quiet, barely picked up by the microphone feed of the call. But I could have sworn I heard Hanzo hum? Or maybe it was a sigh? 

And why did I get the feeling that it was directed at me?

"I know you didn't mean anything by it, Hope," Jesse spoke reassuringly. "All I'm saying is that we should keep our eyes open and listening ears ready," 

The conversation ended with Hanzo and Jesse saying that'd still be going to Venice and investigate the Politician's murder. They also thank Lucio for seeking out a connection of his, a fashion designer. Thanks to him, she hooked up the pair some suits and proper attire for their stay in order to help them blend in.