Chapter 7 - McCree

My heart was pounding so hard it felt like it was going to pop right out of my chest. It's like Reaper and Talon breaking into Winston's lab all over again! I watched my breathing, making sure it wasn't too loud for the members of the Deadlock gang to hear.

"I can't believe this," one of them barked. "How in the Sam Hill do you lose a crate of plutonium?!"

"It wasn't our fault," another yelped. "It was your bright idea have us guard it over night instead of just taking it straight back to the train!"

"The cops would have been expecting us to do that, Chopper," their leader talked back. "What's even more embarrassing is that you all got taken out by one dang, gun slingin', showoff!"

"It was dark out there, we had no idea who he was!" another of the gang members defended.

A gun slinger? Could they be talking about McCree? He did mention in his note that he was running on a lead with the Deadlock gang. He must have taken the Plutonium from them!

"I swear, if it's Jesse McCree who pulled that stunt on us, I'll make sure he never see's another sun set," their leader growled.

I listened as his footsteps drew closer to the counter, the squeaks of the stool turning as he took a seat, his lackeys following behind him.

"Oi, Betty, bring up three rounds would ya?" He commanded, looking over at the elderly woman.

"S-Sure thing," she nodded, quickly making her way into the kitchen.

I shuffled slightly in my spot, tucking my knees even closer to my chest, if that was even possible. I glanced over to the side, just barely peeking over at the open window. I saw Tracer poke her head up ever so slightly, spotting me. She signalled for me to stay quiet and lay low before giving me a thumbs up as she pointed towards the front door.

My best guess was that she was going to attempt a frontal assault? Maybe to buy me some time to escape through the window?

Not really know what else today, I nodded with a slight hesitation. She smiled at me with a wave before ducking back down.

"Hey, Wayne, look at this," I heard Chopper speak. "Someone else was here!"

"What?"

I glanced up, seeing a tiny bit of my glass suddenly move. Uh oh...

"Betty, anyone else in here?" Wayne, their leader asked.

"There hasn't been anyone in here other than y'all for the last... Half hour or so," Betty answered calmly as she placed three beer bottles on the counter, standing next to me.

"Really now?" Wayne questioned.

I suddenly heard munching, followed by, "It still tastes pretty fresh to me," Chopper spoke with his mouth full.

Did he really just eat my sandwich?! Oh no, that is just so gross!

"I hear McCree sometimes frequents this place when he's in town," the other Deadlock gangster spoke up. "Maybe it was 'im!"

"Now Betty, sweet, sweet, Betty," Wayne cooed as he moved away from his seat. "You better not be lying to me, darlin'."

"Now why would I do that?" Betty replied as she began to move to the other side of the counter.

And judging by the footsteps I heard from the other opposite side of the counter, I could make a good guess that Wayne was following her every move. No, wait... Now there were two pairs of footsteps. One of Wayne's cronies must be following her as well.