Chapter 30 - Eichenwalde II

"Flow like water,"

Hanzo's voice rang in my ear as I went through the motions once more, a practice staff in my hand as I performed some swings, followed by a vertical swipe. I watched him do another technique before quickly attempting to mimic it. Genji stood by, hands behind his back as he observed the lesson and occasionally throwing tips my way. 

"Separate your hands further away from each other," he cautioned. "Make sure the grasp of your weapon is well balanced."

Crap, he's right, I thought to myself. Shifting my hands a bit further away from each other, I put a bit more power into my next swing, smacking my staff straight for Hanzo who casually blocked it with his storm bow. 

A pleased smirk grew on his lips as he spoke, "Better, Hope, much better. Again,"

It's been a couple of days now since Hanzo and Genji started my training. Hanzo wasn't lying when he said it would be strenuous. If the tiniest thing didn't go right, we'd start the technique all over again. One simple error could change the tides of battle. While I groaned about it at first, my mind quickly set itself straight. If we're going up against Talon, I need to make sure I'm ready and well prepared for anything they could throw my way. Just the other day, Hanzo made me run laps down along the horse riding trails.

That wasn't even really part of the training! It was just a warm up!

Heck even McCree stopped by and helped me brush up on my shooting. One lesson from Doctor Zieglar wasn't going to be enough. 

While Jesse wasn't as harsh as Hanzo, he didn't hold back from his teachings. Taught me how to properly handle my weapon, at one point he even let me hold his pride and joy, Peacekeeper and taught me some cool tricks. During our breaks he'd tell stories about Overwatch's "glory days" during his time there. Working with Reyes, Blackwatch, but one figure he talked most about was Captain Ana Amari. She was the one that helped him perfect his shooting skills and helped him create his signature move, Dead Eye. 

From what I could remember, Captain Amari was considered to be one of the greatest snipers who ever lived. She even went into surgery to be given a bionic eye that enhanced her sight. 

One day while we were working on disarming shots, I recalled the memory of questioning Genji on his possible relationship with my grandfather. The Shimada said that Jeffery had passed on before Genji even joined Blackwatch. But what about McCree? 

"Hey, Jesse?" My voice perked up.   

"Yeah, kid?" He acknowledged as he fired a shot, nailing a practice drone right in the head. 

"Have you met my grandfather before?" I asked him. 

"Grandfather?" he repeated in question for clarification. 

"Jeffery Ivery?" I answered. 

He stopped firing, holding his gun up in the air by his head as a trail of smoke seethed from the hole of the weapon for a few brief moments before burning out. His stare on the practice drone was unwavering. 

He was the last person to be told of what happened in regards to me finding out about my family's past with Overwatch back in Numbani. Did he not feel comfortable talking about the topic? Did something happen to him regarding my grandfather way back when? Did Jesse know Jeffery on a personal level of some sort?

Those questions rattled in my brain as I waited anxiously for him to reply. Finally, he drew a breath, and I held mine. 

"Once or twice," He finally spoke. "He was like my. . . guidance councilor of sorts before Captain Amari took me under wing and showed me the ropes."