Chapter 11 - Athena

The trek back to the Overwatch shuttle was long and exhausting. If it wasn't for the fact of my injured body, we would have returned sooner. Genji and Hanzo wouldn't have to carry me, and Winston wouldn't have to hang back to make sure I was doing okay. Maybe the firm word the scientist will have for me might be a good idea. I can't keep going out into the battlefield if I'm going to keep getting myself hurt.

Once we got back, I was out like a light. I slowly fell asleep as Mercy got to work healing my wounds. Every once in a while I would stir from my slumber. I could make out some voices in the background. Genji introducing Hanzo to the others. First there was Winston, who had thanked the man for saving my life, followed by McCree who was also thankful for what he did, and also made a comment whether or not to call him Arrow? Hanzo politely declined, but I had a feeling he wasn't too happy about that nickname. Then Genji introduced his brother to his new master, Zenyatta. Hanzo thanked the Omnic for watching over his younger brother, and Zenyatta replied in kind.

I blacked out again, then stirred once more. I wasn't in that much pain as I once before, so that's a good sign. I could feel band-aids on my face, and bandages wrapped around my head. I figured Mercy, or Angela, would have just used her staff to heal me. I suppose my wounds needed a lot more tentative and proper care. I could hear quiet chatter between Angela and Winston, going over updates about my recovery. Athena would put in her input every once in a while, if there was any changes to my condition.

I could also hear Winston and Angela exchange whether or not the gorilla should put me on the side lines. I caught key phrases such as, "I know she means well," and "I just don't want her getting hurt again,"  or my absolute favourite, "Or killed, for that matter." 

I could hear Mercy speaking up to him in reply. "She certainly seems to mean well. McCree  and Lena told me what exactly happened  back at Route 66. Did they not tell you?"

I drifted back to sleep again. By the time I woke up, for real this time, I was temporary blinded up the bright lights above me before my eye sight adjusted. I heard a voice, preferably male. He was singing. It sounded familiar to me too. I slowly glanced over to the left, spotting my phone being brought up right in a charging station. Lucio's newest single, "You Gotta Believe", was playing softly in the background.

A shuffling figure caught my attention next. I shifted my gaze over to a familiar cowboy. Jesse McCree was taking a nap, slouching in his chair with his hat covering his face in order to muffle is quiet snores. The faint scent of tobacco whiffed my nostrils. He must have lit another one of his cigars earlier in the day.

"Didn't know you were a techno fan," I spoke, my voice sounding a little dry.

McCree stirred, his hat falling into his lap as he sat up, rubbing his eyelids to get the "sand" out of his eyes. "Hope, hey," he yawned, placing his beloved hat back a top his head. "How are you feeling?"

"A lot better, thank you," I complimented. "How long was I out for?"

"Almost 24 hours," the cowboy answered. "We're still hanging around in Hanamura. We wanted to wait for you to wake up first, before we head off anywhere."

"Is Arrow still around?" I questioned with a tease.

The cowboy froze for a brief moment before bellowing a quick chuckle. "You picked up on that, didn't'cha?"

"I dozed off here and there," I shrugged with a smirk. "Who put the music on?"

"I did," he stretched his arms out, the stiff joints cracking softly. "Winston told me how you liked listening to music so much while you worked back home. I reckoned you wanted something nice to wake up to."