Chapter 20- Escape plan to hell

CASSIDY TYLER- The Boss' Angel

"Сука!!"
           A man's voice raided the building, almost as loudly as the series of gunshots that were following Slade Hunter's insane decision to burst into a room full of men plotting to kill him.

"Fuck! What do I do?" I repeated with panic as my ears pressed against the wall in a bid to listen for any voices I could recognize.
It was a conflicting feeling... despite my peculiar hatred for the mafia boss... his death would only spell mine as well, perhaps it was why I didn't want him to leave my side...

Or perhaps it was the way he held that blade in his hand as he sliced that man's throat, the gory sight still engraved in my memory, almost as vividly as the loud Ying of the sharp knife as he twisted it skilfully in his hand...

Regardless of the growing enmity between us... there was no denying I felt a million times safer when he was next to me like he actually cared if I was alive or not.

I shook my head.

Snap out of it Cassie.

I owed him half a million... of course, he'd want me to be alive.

A hundred thoughts rummaged through my brain. Was he still alive? Had he gotten killed in there? He said it was "highly unlikely" but the amount of gunshots I'd heard since he'd walked in suggested at least one would've hit him... right? He might look like it... but he wasn't bulletproof.

I looked over my shoulder, the open door behind me offering me a view of the dead man on the floor with a knife-shaped hole in his neck as I contemplated my chances of making it out if I decided to sneak out now. Probably very low.

I turned over in my heels toward the door, deciding an attempt to escape was always better than letting myself be caught by the people who were insane enough to kill the Slade Hunter... I'd be damned if I let them get to me first.

I slipped through the back door, carefully glancing over my shoulder, in front of me and behind me as I navigated the path I came in... the hardest part of heading back was my having to fight the urge to stop and stare at the men Slade had killed laid limply on the floor.
As soon as I arrived at the corner... I peeked.

The sounds of gunshots faintly following me as I realized just how soundproof the building was.

      Perhaps it could work to my advantage. My gaze reared around the last of the compound, the instant I realized I was in the clear, I sprinted toward the gates, the cold wind beating against my hair as I crept through the aperture, the deafening gunfire now receding into silence.

I heaved, struggling to find my way through the dark bushes with my eyes peeled wide open, I'd watched the mafia boss drive all the way up here... even with his... capable... Ferrari, the journey had still been tasking, there was very little chance I was making it down the long, monstrous road without passing out... and now somehow... eating the food he'd offered me earlier didn't seem like such a horrible idea anymore.

As I hurried down the rugged, grass-covered path, my heart in my stomach and my breathing rivaling the tumultuous cold wind... A blinding light immediately reverted me into irrepressible panic as I noticed the car approaching.