Chapter 34- If we meet again

CASSIDY TYLER- The Boss' Angel

                 TW: Violence (read with discretion)
      I crumbled under Slade's crushing weight as the gunshots, shattering glass and destroyed furniture formed a massive triad of deafening noise.
The intensity of everything that seemed to be happening at once consumed every corner of the entire building until it felt like we'd been trapped in our very own slaughter house in the middle of an earthquake.

         I unwound my eyes, my gaze instantly falling on the man laid on top of me, my nearly microscopic view of him immediately forcing my eyes to divert from the thick black swarm in his pupils to the delicate pores in his skin as tiny beads of sweat began forming at the edge of his forehead.
      I inhaled the usual tobacco scent following the air around him, my breathing levelling slowly as it in a strange way strangled my panic.
      "you're gonna be okay..." he assured as his voice softened, his words easing its tone as he repeated them with his lips pressed into my hair...

      I looked up at him as he stopped, the both of us cringing at the sounds of more glasses shattering, the entire bar falling apart before our eyes as bullets began flying through several bottles of liquor.
My brows furrowed as the horror of what was going on began to really sink in...
was I really? was I really gonna be okay?

       I mean... we'd survived a literal angry Russian, the vengeful guy with the boiling pot of acid and the sociopathic best friend... I suppose if at all we were lucky enough to have escaped all that, the luck on our side was bound to run out at some point...

       Both the sound of his rugged breathing and steady heartbeat pressed against my chest slowly evened out mine as I exhaled like I'd been holding air in all my life.
   "what the hell is going on??" I managed to yell over the intense clamouring of the room falling apart around us, my breath nearly ceasing again as the Don wound his arms tighter around me.

     "I don't know..." he huffed back, slowly loosening himself enough to take a quick look outside.
Without any warning, he untwined his arms and yanked me backwards so we were no longer laid in front of the shattered windows and instead reclined right up against the wall next to it.

     "Your father is Rowan Hunter and you couldn't weather bullet proof glass?!" I blurted as he heaved and sat up next to me, pulling out a small shard of glass from his shoulder like it was nothing.

     He groaned, tossing the blood stained fragment on the floor before biting down on his teeth. "The glass is bulletproof..."

     After about a minute of ducking low and covering my ears, the deafening shots of gunfire circling around the building like a tornado eventually began to ease, the noise fading away slowly as the attackers took an instantaneous break from shooting, inadvertently making way for us to better hear their voices.

     "Where'd they go?!" One of them barked as they began nearing the compound, the sounds of their heavily booted footsteps triggering the panic I had tried to curb.

"Fall in!" another ordered, and in the same breath, the heavily booted steps increased, morphing generously into heavily booted marches, trampling down the compound floor as they began heading into the building.

     "they're coming..." I gasped, peering through the open space that once housed the full length windows, my chest hitching as my heart skipped several beats at the sight of the amount of armed men making their way to us.

      There were at least twenty, each of them wit clear intention to kill.
The red laser from their weapons beaming through their guns as they aimed it toward the building, the full black ensembles they had on, the bullet proof vests, the protective helmets and googles and the conspicuous frowns tugging below the corners of their lips like it were a compulsory part of their uniforms...
Every inch of them reeked of lethality.