Chapter 45- The Dark Angel

ROWAN HUNTER- The Angel's Darkness

T.W: Drugs.
Read with Discretion

She was... everything to me. I wasn't ready to let her go.

    "Hmm... but you did anyway?"

I did anyway.

THREE MONTHS LATER

I reclined into the soft leather armchair behind me, my leg crossed over my knee, my elbow propped over the armrest and my back pressed against the cushion...
perfectly comfortable, yet significantly inconvenienced.
My breath hitched as I cleared my throat, my eyes waning across the room as my thoughts elapsed into flashbacks, the dark ambience of the vintage office inspiring subtle nostalgia to the days I'd found myself in my father's office after his death.
Only while this office was in many ways quite similar to his, it was also a lot less ominous.

Afterall... even with the familiar furniture scattered across the room...dark wooden shelves, glossy wooden floorboards, mahogany office table, windows with thinned out blinds and a shit load of books mounted on most of the surfaces
the true similarity between the workplace of the most deadly man is ever known and the renovated hotel office I was now sat in was remained the strangling stench of blood crawling up it's very walls.

The only other person in the room was a slightly enthusiastic looking young woman, propped up by her heels and high dark brown ponytail with a nervous smile cornered in her mouth.
And judging by the way her hand clutched shakily to the small briefcase between them, it was quite evident she was a real estate newbie, perhaps some intern pushed by her company to make her first deal... or a scapegoat to her bosses who must have thrown her to the big dogs expecting her to make a fool of herself on her first day.

I narrowed my gaze into an irritated stare, summoning out the words that hung loosely on the tip of my tongue. "It's a shit deal. Tell Greyson I won't be selling."

"Mr Hunter. I'm afraid this is the best my company and I could offer for such an..." she panicked, her gaze running judgementally across the room "affected place."

Amused by her unspared effort to critique, I scoffed... perhaps if not distracted by the loud buzzing of an incoming phone call... I might have even laughed.

      "excuse me." I heaved up the chair, lowering the glass of whiskey in my hand to the table next to me as I pulled out my phone in anticipation, one of the many reasons for my significant inconvenience drawing across the screen in a name.

"Yes?" I gritted my teeth, placing the device to my ear.

     "The jet is ready." The voice responded "For your flight back to New York sir."

Quietly inserting the phone back into my pocket, I drew out a breath, uninspired. "Fine." I bit out, returning to the woman in front of me as I narrowed my gaze, attempting to recall her name.

"You..." I surrendered after a while, stretching out my hand. "Deal."

Her eyes lifted in surprise as she accepted the handshake, but before she could question my abrupt change of heart, I was headed toward the door. "Send me the contract. I'll get it signed."

And as I walked out, her elated squeaks of joy and numerous words of gratitude slowly retreated into the background, thoughts of the iron-bearing battle with Kyle taking forefront in my mind.