Chapter 35- The return of Payne

ROWAN HUNTER- The Angel's Darkness

TW: violence (read with discretion)

"Put your fucking gun down now!!!"

I slipped behind one of the large round concrete pillars that held up the garage, stuffing the weapon in my grip with my last round of ammunition before cocking it back, aiming it toward the armed men who had equally sought shelter behind some steel barricades lying around and returning the favour.

"Put your fucking gun down now!!" The hoarse voice repeated, obvious cracks seeping through as he attempted to garner my attention.

Truthfully, it would have been a lot wiser to put my gun down and surrender... my chances of escaping were pretty slim and that of survival was probably hair thin... I guess I just figured if I'd end up dead, I might as well take a few of them with me.

"Surrender now and stop shooting!" Another voice called out, this one a less coarse and more deep baritone.

I gritted, my hands tightening around the trigger as I continued my assault, truly, my intention wasn't just to fight the men who had so rudely invaded my house and blown up my multimillion dollar garage... it was to hold off the lot of them so that Cassidy could escape, and with the seconds trailing past and the air in the room thinning away... I couldn't help but feel less and less confident that she managed to slip out.

       "Stand down now!!!" Another one bellowed, the loud echo of his voice reverberating across the metal walls of the garage.
I yanked the gun backward and cocked it again,leaning behind the sturdy pillar and huffing out a breath before aiming it at the man furthest from the middle, firing three bullets through the only part of him that wasn't protected by all the gear they had on

... his throat.

     One... two... three...

      My heart singing as I watched him go down like a fallen tree, blood drizzling out of his neck like a sprinkler and over the surface area of the floor around him as he joined the other four men on the ground that had met similar fates.
      I suppose only I could manage to enjoy the sight of bullets tearing through people's jugulars in such high stake life or death situations like these.

Truthfully, I blamed the neurosis. It wasn't my fault... I was licensed to kill...
I knew the weight of the gun... so I had learned how to shoot.

    "Put your gun down!!" The first guy roared again, the wrath seeping through his tone getting lost in the transit of heavy weaponry. The four words his last as I targeted him next, driving two slugs through him, one straight into his right hand wound around the gun and the other through the mouth he talked shit with.
And in an instant... he was on the floor like a brick, slamming his weight against the shiny concrete .

While by now I'd managed to kill about half of the men after me... I knew I'd be nothing short of an idiot to assume there weren't more left... men like these never came in tens, and even if they did... they compensated with twice the armoury.

Reclining backward for cover, I forced open the chamber, muttering a quiet "shit!" as I realised I was running out.
Cassidy had better be fucking miles from here by now because I swear to God I'm g—

"The girl's gone!! She escaped." A man announced from a distance as several of the men who'd run out after her came back streaming into the garage, loading their arms with weapons as they all diverted their attention and efforts to me.