Chapter 24- Vivian Young

ROWAN HUNTER- The Angel's Darkness

I drew in a lengthy inhale as I stood outside the mod little city house in Manhattan. The building, ornate and chic was erected into an uncommon and modern looking slanted shape, the heavy black roofs sloped down the diagonal structure as the walls of the house which were painted into a crisp matte grey colour with a classy adornment of glossy gravel between each column, shone brightly under the afternoon sun.
Most of the walls on the building held full length, translucent windows, the lot of them reflecting like mirrors as I stared straight ahead.
My gaze was set on the reflection of the suspicious and menacing looking man smoking patiently out by the sidewalk... flawless black suit and shoes, dark brown hair, pitch black sunglasses and a long faded black trench coat... I scoffed, a puff of smoke climbing out my throat as I realised just how much I looked like the grim reaper...

I shrugged, I didn't care... sometimes looking like you have bad intentions gets you places faster, sometimes looking shady inspires fear out of people... and sometimes I found it necessary to milk that fear to get what I wanted.
       Of course if only milking the fear... would get Vivian to talk faster, my world would still be spinning ever so comfortably on its axis, I won't have a massive target of killers on my back and there wouldn't be a cigarette between my lips right now to help me suppress my growing urge to whip out this weapon in my back just so I could fucking kill something.

       Through the corner of my eye, I sighted a feminine figure sliding out of the front door, pulling in another swig, I held the smoke in my mouth as I threw the rest of the stick on the floor, crushing the blazing cherry under my thousand dollar Tom Ford dress shoes before slowly exhaling the wisp of tobacco, the smoke cloud dissipating into the cold winter air.

      I bit down on my teeth as I heard the intensifying approach of footsteps before me, my gaze pinned on the floor the brick walkway provided, as I somewhat began savouring the few moments of peace and solace I had before having another conversation with Vivian Young.

"Well... well... well..." a familiar pair of black pointed heeled louboutins wrapped around shiny dark brown feet entered my lowered view point. "If it isn't my precious fiancé, how I've missed you my love" she purred, the sarcasm in her cocky British accent immediately mystifying the atmosphere.

I lifted my head with a sigh, my eyes immediately meeting the pair in front of me, deep and dark brown, a flawless diamond shaped face adorned with a tiny little button nose, full heart shaped lips and bright white teeth that practically glistened every time she smiled.
       My chest tightened.

"Oh oops...sorry..." she chuckled, her slender fingers curling over her mouth
"Ex-fiancé" she corrected as her laughter slowly wore off. "It's been almost three years you cancelled our engagement through a text, yet somehow it still feels like just yesterday." She muttered sarcastically

I pursed my lips, my eyes waning across her form as she stood, nearly accusatorily in front of me with her arms crossed defensively over her chest. She cocked her brow, as though expecting some sort of an explanation...
I had nothing to say... at least nothing that would be of any solace to her. I did break off the engagement and I did do it through text... my father had just passed and my getting married was his idea.
Of course, he'd chosen me a wife-to-be based of off his effective scale of who could be of the most profit to him...
       Vivian's father, Carson Young happened to be one of the many men who had been indebted to him in some way... and I supposed it also helped that he owned one of the biggest telecommunication companies in the entire country...