4: Neighbors

"You didn't have to help me." I say and wally shakes his head.

"You're new. I don't mind showing you around. Maybe you won't feel so nervous to meet the neighbors with me there. Don't want you to feel overwhelmed!"

For some reason my heart raced slightly at hearing how much he cares. He might be a puppet where i come from but it's hard to remember when he's like every other person.

I study him as we walk. I couldn't help but notice how put together he is.

He's almost... Well he's really attractive.

He stopped and looked at me. His cheeks tinted pink.

"D-do i have something on my face?" He asks and i turn red from being caught.

"Oh.. No." I smile nervously and look around to distract myself. Seeing a couple of houses, all unique.

I remember these....

The houses of each character. They look exactly as described. It was almost like walking into a theme park.

"This is a lovely neighborhood." I tell wally as we walk.

"I would say so. Wouldn't trade it for the world." He smiles fondly.

"Hey, Wally!"

A tall mailman walks towards us. He look at wally and takes out three letters.

"I was on my way to put these in your mailbox but since you're here..." He hands him the mail and wally thanks him. He soon turns to me.

"Woah. Are you the new neighbor? Pleasure to meet you!" He greets me and i smile warmly at him.

"Eddie? Am i correct?" I ask and he smiles wide. Wally looks at me strangely.

"Why, Yes! How did you know?" He says.

"I've heard a lot about you."

"My reputation proceeds me i suppose." He jokes and i chuckle.

I can feel wally watching me and Eddie's interaction.

"Well, Welcome to the neighborhood! I'll see you around." He says as he continues his job. I watch him leave and then look at wally.

He clears his throat.

"Anyways, Let's continue." I nod and we walk in silence.

After a few minutes, We arrive at a store and wally holds the door for me. I thank him and we walk in.

It had about everything you could think of. I look around in awe and wally chuckles at me. We start to fill my basket of groceries. Wally was staring at me through out it all and i can't help but stare back. His eyes always seem to suck me in and if I'm being honest. I liked it.

"Welcome!" I turn around and see a giant caterpillar with two sets of arms.

"Hello, Howdy." Wally greets as he walks towards the cash register.

"Howdy, Howdy." I joke and he chuckles.

"You sound like Barnaby." Howdy says back and i smile.

"This is (Y/n). Our new neighbor." Wally introduces and he smiles.

"I hope you're settling in well."

I nod and look at wally.

"I am but that's thanks to wally." I praise and wally smiles sheepishly at me.

"I'm not surprised. Wally is always there for us." He starts to scan everything but i suddenly remember i don't have money on me.

I forgot to bring my wallet. What do they even take as currency here?

"I got it." Wally says and quickly gives the cash to howdy. I stood there shocked.

"Wal-"

"I insist. It's the least i could do for my neighbor!" He smiles warmly at me and my heart skips a beat. Howdy raised an eyebrow at wally but quickly put everything in the basket and handed it to me.

"T-thank you." I say.

"You know, If you need a job. I have an opening. You can start tomorrow morning if you want." Howdy says and i look at him.

I could use the money...

"Alright, Thank you howdy. I'll take it!" I say grateful and he nods. I walk towards the door and wally follows.

"I'll see you tomorrow!" I wave goodbye.

Wally walks behind me and we walk in silence. I don't know why but my heart can't stop racing.

"Wallyyy!" A girl with blond hair and red dress runs towards us. She spun and hugged wally. Wally looked like a rag doll for a second but she quickly looked at me.

"Oh my! Is this the new neighbor??? She's so pretty! Im Julie! Julie Joyful." She her smile made my eyes hurt but i found it cute.

"Im (y/n). It's nice to meet you. I love your dress!" I look at her outfit and she giggles.

"Oh! This old thing! Haha. Thank you! Y'know i have a spare if you ever want to come over!" Shes giddy and it makes me smile.

"I just might take you up on that offer." She smiles and says her goodbyes as she skips away. Wally steps closer to me and we continue our journey back to my home. We eventually arrive and i open the door. Setting the basket down near the front door. Turning to wally, he smiles down to me.

"Thank you... For everything." I say and his smiles grows softer.

"Anything for you, Neighbor."

I can't help but melt a little.

"I wanted to ask, If you have any plans tomorrow afternoon?" He asks and i shake my head no.

"Would you like to go painting with me?" He asks and my eyes light up.

I haven't painted in so long!

"I would love to!"

His eyes light up as well. A deep part inside of me wanted to keep saying things that would get that reaction from him.

"I'll pick you up tomorrow at noon." He says softy and i nod.

"Goodbye, Neighbor. I'll see you tomorrow!" He waves goodbye as he walks off and i close my door. I slide down it and sigh.

How will I ever get out of here? I can't remember how i got here. Why am i here?

My brain started to hurt from the thoughts rushing in. Something was troubling me though. Out of all my thoughts, One stood out the most.

What was that room in Wally's house?