4.

Invest in love ( 6 x 8 )

"Okay, I know this is the first time on a peds rotation with me for some of you. Not for others. But I want you to know I run my peds unit a little differently than you're used to. This is not general surgery in miniature. These are the tiny humans, these are children." Arizona starts. Cassandra can hear Jackson sigh and looks over at him with a small smile. " They believe in magic, they play pretend. There is fairy dust in their IV-bags. They hope and cross their fingers and make wishes. And that makes them more resilient than adults. They recover faster and survive worse. They believe. In peds we have miracles and magic. In peds anything is possible." Arizona says before walking through the doors to the peds unit.

While walking into the peds unit Cristina, Charles and Jackson sigh.

" Peds isn't that bad, Smile now" Cassandra says with a smile.

" You like peds?" Charles asks, looking at Cassandra surprised.

" So what, I like peds." Cassandra says walking away with a smile.

After rounds Cassandra is standing at the nurses station when Jackson walks up next to her.

" So how was the rest of your birthday?" Jackson asks, looking over at Cassandra.

" Nothing special, Had like a million people called to congratulate me and then I slept until Derek and Mark came with a cake at like eleven." Cassandra answers looking back at Jackson with a smile.

" Sounds like an okay birthday." Jackson says.

" Yeah and I got cake for breakfast so I'm happy." Cassandra says with a smile

" So what patient do you have?" Jackson asks.

" 5 year old with an appendix. What about you?" Cassandra says.

" Teen, 52 broken bones. Fell off the roof after being high on mushrooms." Jackson explains.

" Well good luck with that, I'll see you around." Cassandra says before walking away.

At lunch Christina, Alex, Lexie and Cassandra are sitting and talking.

" What's going on with you and pretty boy?" Christina asks Cassandra.

" Nothing, We had the big tumor on Isaac, surgery together, He's pretty cool actually. He's nice, really nice." Cassandra says with a smile.

"You like him. You like like him. Cassie he's the enemy. They are here to steal our jobs" Lexie says, looking at Cassandra.

Cassandra gets up from her seat looking at her friends "You guys are impossible. Plus you forgot my birthday, so." She says before walking away and out of the cafeteria.

" We forgot her birthday? When was it?" Lexie asks, feeling guilty.

" You are the one with the photographic memory" Cristina says.

" Call Mer, she probably knows" Alex says.

" We are bad friends." Lexie says looking down at her food.

" What should we do to make it up to her?" Cristina asks

" A surprise party?" Lexie says. " Well talk to Mer, Mark and Derek. Invite people from the hospital and have it at Mer's house after shift on friday." Lexie proposes.

"Okay, do that. I have surgery" Cristina says before leaving.

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____

Friday night and Cassandra is walking into the house, she walks into the living room and out jumps her friends and family. She looks around seeing everyone from work there.

" Sorry, We missed your birthday so we wanted to make it up to you." Lexie says.

"Thanks guys." Cassandra says with a big smile on her face. " I need to change, I'll be back in five." Cassandra says hurrying up stairs.

After about 10 minutes Cassandra walks back downstairs in a red dress. Everyone is talking and having fun. Cassandra walks around greeting everyone before walking over to the bar area and grabs something to drink before walking outside when no one is watching or so she thought.

" Why are you escaping your own surprise party?" The voice behind her says.

Cassandra turns around " Jackson" she says, Jackson walks closer to her.

"Are you okay?" Jackson asks, concerned.

"I'm okay." Cassandra says, whipping away her tears trying to hide that she's crying.

" It's your birthday party and you're hiding outside here crying, So you gonna tell me what's wrong?"Jackson asks, looking at her.

"My patient died of appendix cancer, She was five." Cassandra says trying to contain her sadness.

"I'm sorry, Losing a patient is hard but when the patient is a kid." Jackson says.

" It's extra hard, that's why most people don't choose peds." Cassandra says.

" Well, Yeah. I don't have the mental strength for that." Jackson says, looking away from Cassandra.

" But taking down mad men with hammers you can. I never thanked you for that, I was just rude." Cassandra says, looking at Jackson.

" Well, I am a hero.'' Jackson says laughing as he looks back at Cassandra.

" Shut your mouth" Cassandra says, smiling at him.

" Make me" Jackson says with a smirk.

" You would like that, wouldn't you" Cassandra says looking up at Jackson.

" I wouldn't hate it and I think you wouldn't either." Jackson says walking even closer to Cassandra.

" Dr. Blue eyes." Cassandra says with a smirk looking up at him biting her lip.

The two stand in silence for a minute looking at each other before Cassandra looks down at the ground. Jackson grabs her face before kissing her. As they continue kissing, Jackson pins Cassandra against the wall. After a while they pull apart just looking at each other smiling without saying a word. Jackson is about to walk away when Cassandra grabs his arm making him stop. Cassandra walks up and kisses him again before looking up at him, Before either one of them could react they start kissing again.