21.

7 x 19 It's a long way back

It's been little over a week since the accident and the birth of Sofia Robbin Sloan Torres

It's been little over a week since the accident and the birth of Sofia Robbin Sloan Torres. Cassandra spends every free minute she has during her shifts with her new little niece.

Arizona, Bailey and Cassandra are watching Callie try to open her hand as they do her daily examination when Mark comes in with a baby update showing Callie pictures of the little baby.

" Don't tell my other nieces this but she's my favorite." Cassandra says as Mark shows Callie the pictures.

" Of course she's a Sloan." Mark says, giving Cassandra a high five.

" That and she has a very very pretty name and is super strong. She's also a survivor like her mom and her auntie Cassie." Cassandra says.

" I have to go, I have a consultation." Mark says before leaving the room as Bailey is about to check the incision.

Bailey removes the compressors and bandages that are on top of the incision to check it out.

" I can see her today?" Callie asks as Bailey takes a look.

" I'm sorry." Bailey says as she sees it hasn't healed enough, making Callie cry. " Until you can be mobilized and your infections are completely gone you cannot see her and she cannot leave the NICU. I'm sorry." Bailey says before leaving to check on another person.

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____

Cassandra is changing some of the bandages and compressor for the incision when April comes running in excitement.

" She opened her eyes, Sofia! She looked right at me. I saw her eyes. Her sweet, little eyes.They look just like yours" April begins. " Oh my God! I should have taken a picture. Why didn't I do that!?!"

Hearing that her daughter had opened her eyes without her there, makes Callie who was already on the verge of crying start to cry.

" Oh no, oh no, oh God no. I'm so sorry..." April says, panicking as she didn't want to make Callie cry.

" Go, go, go. Go get the pictures then. Go get the pictures." Cassandra says almost pushing April out of the room.

While Cassandra tries to comfort Callie, Callie tries to grab on to the handle that's above her trying to get up.

" Callie Stop it! Stop it! Stop it! Callie!" Cassandra says trying to get her to let go of the handle. " You'll rupture your stitches."

" I'm missing her! I'm missing her!" Callie carries out as Cassandra tries to get her back to bed.

" I know, Callie I know." Cassandra says.

" She could die and I'll never..." Callie continues to cry out. " I could miss her whole life!"

" Okay, Okay." Cassandra says trying to get Callie to lay back into bed. " Easy, Lie back down. Please for Sofia."

Callie finally lets go of the handle and lies back down in the bed still crying.

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____

Cassandra is hurrying down the stairs to catch up with Stark, the head of peds. After a couple minutes she finally catches up with him at the nurses station.

" Doctor Stark, Can Doctor Torres see her baby?" Cassandra asks as she catches up with him.

" I thought Doctor Torres couldn't be moved?" Stark asks, looking down at a chart.

" She can't sir. But since she has had no contact with the baby. I was wondering how soon we might..." Cassandra starts but gets caught off by Stark.

" Bring the baby to Torres?" Stark says.

" Yeah, I think it'll do them both good." Cassandra explains. " If I could at least tell Doctor Torres..."

" When the baby is off the vent. When she has an immune system and can withstand the onslaught of deadly infractions Doctor Torres would threaten her with. That's when." Stark says. " Come on. I'm all for mother-baby bonding but not when it will kill the baby." Stark continues before he walks away.

Cassandra just rolls her eyes before turning around, as she turns around she sees Jackson standing filling out some papers so she walks over to him as an idea pops into her head.

" Hi." Cassandra says with a smile

" Hi." Jackson says looking up from what he's doing. " What are you up to?"

" I need your help with something and you can't say no cause you're my boyfriend." Cassandra says with a big smile.

" What?" Jackson asks, a bit worried.

" We're gonna make sure Callie gets to see her baby today." Cassandra says a bit nervous.

" You're a good aunt." Jackson says.

" I'm an amazing aunt and I love you." Cassandra says with a smile.

" I gotta go, I have surgery. But page me when you need me and I love you too" Jackson says before giving her peck on the lip and hurrying away.

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____

Hours later. The residents walk into Callie's room starting to prep her to be able to move her. Callie looks confused at Cassandra who's smiling.

" Just lay still and relax, Let us do everything. Can you do that?" Cassandra says looking at Callie who just nods in response.

After making sure everything is ready the residents start rolling Callie out of her room and the ICU and towards the NICU as quietly as possible. After a few minutes they finally were able to stop in front of the window separating the NICU and the hallway.

" You can't get closer than this, because of your infections. So Alex and April are gonna bring her as close as possible to the window." Cassandra explains.

April and Alex come walking into the NICU putting on the pink gowns. Jackson comes walking after he had to distract Bailey a few minutes earlier.

" You are an amazing aunt for doing this." Jackson whispers.

" He's right. My future kids will be so lucky having an aunt like you." Meredith says.

" Well I have 16 nieces and nephews so I have had a lot of training." Cassandra says as April and Alex roll Sophia's incubator forward. " We'll give you some privacy." Cassandra says as she and the others walk away a bit.