15

*** Day 2 ***

*** Vaishnavi ***

"So when we hold the sword a little lower, it can be a...." Adi was standing infront of me and explaining the different ways to hold a sword when I heard the sounds of rainfall. I immediately looked out of the window.

Adi snapped his fingers to bring back my attention.

"Is the rain distracting you?" he asked.

"Sorry," I apologized, "It is just that when it rains, I get an intense desire to sit down, wrap a blanket around me and have a cup of warm tea."

*** Sruthi ***

The general was anxiously roaming outside the king's private chambers shaking his head and murmuring something to himself.

'king' 'insane' 'scare' 'queen' were some of the words I heard and I managed to connect the dots. I still hate him, but I must admit, his concern for the queen is admirable.

"What the hell is this?" he asked the moment he saw me.

"Tea," I answered, "The queen usually requests for tea whenever it rains....so I thought...."

"Thought what?" the general exclaimed, "Put her at risk."

"By...giving her tea...?" I asked confused.

"Come on Ms. Sruthi..." the general said frustrated, "Even you must know that the king-"

He paused when the king opened the doors to the private chambers.

"Your highness," we both bowed in unison. 

The king nodded in acknowledgement. 

"Is that tea, Sruthi?" he asked.

"Yes, your highness," I answered.

"Bring it in," the king said and opened the door a little wider for me to enter. 

Through my peripheral vision, I could see the general gasp and continously blink his eyes in disbelief.

*** Day 7 ***

*** Vaishnavi ***

"Let us see how well you could defend yourself," Adi said and walked behind me. 

From the five moves that he barely taught me in the past week, I am sure I would do great!

"Relax Vaishu," he kept both his hands on my shoulders and assured me before stepping back, "You will do great!"

Did he just....read my mind or something....

I was still thinking about that when he pulled me close and wrapped his arms around my waist from behind. I was barely able to reach for my sword before I felt his sword on my neck.

"Come on Vaishu," he said a little disappointed as he lowered his sword, "Why did you not do anything?"

"I...don't know..." I said, "Can we try again?"

"Alright," he said and stepped back.

This time I am prepared for everything. Even if he pulls me back right now, I should be able to defend myself....except he didn't.

Instead he twirled me around and pulled me towards him so that we are facing each other.

"Vaishu....." he said again frustrated.

"But Adi....you changed the move...." I oppossed.

"You expect an assassin to inform you of his moves before hand?" Adi argued.