32

Note: Wattpad is acting up and some of the readers are not being notified of my updates. So please consider following me so that you can get notified through announcements. Alternatively leave a comment and I can reply to you whenever there is an update :)

I completely understand that not everyone wants to follow without exploring multiple books of the author, so no hard feelings at all 🤗

*** Adinath ***

We were standing in the middle of the palace. Vaishu and I on one side, Sruthi at a distance opposite to us, soldiers in their respective guarding positions and the happiest man alive, the general, right infront of us 'respectfully' waiting for me to say the golden words.

"Everyone except for the general leave," I said all the soldiers immediately bowed and dispersed. However, Sruthi stayed, anxiously biting her nails, waiting for the drama to unfold, whispering something to herself which I am sure is just her cursing the general.

"Sruthi!" I called to remind her.

"Uh...right.." Sruthi said as she looked around and realized that she needs to leave. "I apologize your highness," she said and quickly left. 

The moment the doors closed, the general's entire demeanor changed. He was still standing and looking the same but his eyes were angry instead of the usual caring and respectful. All I could see is a pissed off 'Nandu Bhaiyya' and ironically I now miss my loyal general.

"What the hell were you thinking?" he asked calmly but sternly. ".....Your highness," he purposefully delayed the title to make sure his question carried more weight.

"General," Vaishu spoke before I could speak, "Adi is not at fault here. I was very disappointed at not being able to visit the temple and all he wanted to do was to make me happy."

"I know, your highness," the general said in softer tone, "and I find that commendable. I really do....but we cannot ignore the fact that he also put both himself and you in danger."

"Danger?" I said offended, "General, you out of everyone, should know that I am more than capable of protecting myself and my wife."

"Respectully, your highness," the general said turning towards me, "that statement did not hold true today. You were not even aware of the fact that I was behind you right from the beginning of the pooja."

Vaishu and I looked at each other confused.

Was he? Damn! Perhaps I was so very much immersed in love!

"Anything else to say in your defence, your highness?" the general said still glaring at me.

I looked at him angrily as I could sense that while he is genuinely concerned, a part of him is also extremely happy at the opportunity to punish me.

"No," I answered reluctantly, "I am at fault and am willing to accept the consequences."

"Are you insane?" Vaishu asked instinctively. 

I looked at her surprised. While, I absolutely do not mind her calling me insane....I do not want it to be infront of my greatest enemy...Vaishu immediately realized the general's presence too and started panicking...no Vaishu....it's not panic worthy....

I was about to console her but the general spoke before me.

"I did not hear that, your highness," he immediately told her. 

"And...you did not see us leave the palace too?" Vaishu innocently asked taking both of us by surprise.

Wow! My wife is smart!