Chapter 20 // The Voice

Chapter 20- The Voice

Gajeel's POV
I was only vaguely aware of Nastu and Lucy leaving us there, as I sat staring into her eyes. Even with her crouching, I was a little taller, and all I could think about as seconds ticked silently away was how delicate she was. She had magic, sure, but I worried about her whenever she wasn't around.

Levy's POV
I held my breath as Gajeel cupped my face in his hand. It was coarse and awkward, yet gentle as a whisper, full of emotion. I allowed my eyes in sink shut as I reached up to place my own small, pale fingers on his cheek.
"Don't close your eyes." he whispered.
"Why?"
"Because they're beautiful."
I opened my eyes just in time to see him lean in and then I felt his lips touch mine in the softest of kisses.
Before I could register what was happening, I was kissing him back, my heart thumping out of control against his chest, his heart.
I could've stayed like that forever, but Gajeel pulled back with a jolt and looked over his shoulder.
"Did you hear that?" he asked, his tone level, but I could see tension in his slightly hunched shoulders and clenched fists.
"Hear what?"
My voice sounded small, nervous. Had he changed his mind? Was this not what he wanted?
"A voice... I thought I..." Finally, the dragon slayers eyes returned to mine, and he looked slightly surprised. I figured that all my anxiety was probably written all over my face, and quickly tried to look indifferent.
His expression softened.
"I've wanted to do that for a long time, shrimp." Heat flushed my face, and I quickly turned away and stuck my nose in the air, attempting to keep some authority over the idiot.
"Stop looking so pleased with yourself." It was meant to sound cold, but I failed miserably as my lips crept into a smile.
"Gihi."
"Oh shut up-" Gajeel grabbed my face and rather forcefully pulled me into another kiss, which was really very rude of him.
Somehow, I couldn't bring myself to care.

Gajeel's POV
Even as I kissed Levy for a second time, I couldn't shake the feeling that we weren't alone. The voice kept ringing in my ears; excuse me, help me, please- they're gone. It felt wrong to not be totally focused on the girl I'd been in love with for so long, but truth be told I was spooked. It was probably my imagination, or Lily messing around- there was no point in wasting time on a silly notion-
"Help."
I practically leapt away from Levy, and I was on my feet in a flash, racing trough the bookshelves. It wasn't my imagination; that voice was real and I had to find where it came from.
"Gajeel, Gajeel wait!" a hand grabbed my wrist, and when I turned back to the bluenette to explain myself I was surprised to see fear in her eyes."
"Levy, I-"
She held up a finger to shush me, and gripped my wrist tighter, her fingers digging into my wrist.
"I heard it too."

Levy's POV
A voice filled with despair and desperation, uttering that one, powerful word.
Help.