Chapter 5 // When She Stopped Trying

Chapter 5- When She Stopped Trying

Juvia's POV
Gray-sama looked a little down.
Well, no.
Gray-sama looked a lot down.
When Erza went to see what was wrong (she slapped him on the back supportively) he ignored her- even when Wendy tried to cheer him up he gave her a death glare which clearly hurt her.
So now it was Juvia's turn to try.
"Juvia is worried about you, Gray-sama. Wendy is upset." The ice mage looked up, grimaced, and went back to his sundae (which looked amazing).
"Juvia... Juvia was wondering is she could help. Although she knows that Gray-sama probably wants to be on his own..."
Gray sighed, and finally looked up.
"I'm okay, Juvia, but thanks. I just... The frost, yesterday, it made me feel closer to Ul. Stupid, really. I just hope that wherever we're going has water."
Juvia understood what he was trying to say. Gray-sama liked to be near the ocean because he liked to think Ul was now a part of the water, and when it was snowy he felt like she was watching over him. So now that it had melted, it wasn't surprising that he was in a bad mood.
"Juvia understands. And... Juvia hopes so to. So that Gray-sama is happy." Finally, he smiled. Juvia smiled back shyly, wondering if he would notice that she was wearing a new blue sun dress with white flowers- wondered if he might notice that the seemingly simple messy bun was actually time consuming to get perfect.
But he didn't.
He never did.
Instead, he looked back at his sundae, and carried on eating as if she wasn't there.
Juvia would treasure the moment, though. How he'd smiled at her like she was special, even if she wasn't. How just for a moment, she had been able to pretend that he loved her back.

Gray's POV
When Juvia wasn't being clingy and obsessive, she was alright. She was more than alright. She was a sweet girl, and really caring. I liked how casual she looked today as well- her blue hair pulled back messily with her bangs loose and falling around her face. And that dress made the most of her legs, which were undeniably attractive.
I liked her best when she stopped trying and was just herself.
"Uh, Gray-sama? Juvia thinks maybe you should say sorry to Wendy. Juvia doesn't like to see her sad." I glanced over at Wendy, and realised that she really was upset- she was staring at the table and probably trying to figure out what she'd done wrong.
"Oh, yeh, give me a moment."
I quickly made me way to Wendy, who jumped up and started apologising.
"No, Wendy, it's my fault. I shouldn't have been so rude to you- sorry. I'm just... Not having a great day."
Wendy smiled, and forgave me immediately, though Charles gave me a look that made the phrase 'if looks could kill' dance through my mind. I returned to my table, and sat down. Juvia just stood, there, looking at the floor like she wasn't sure she was allowed to be within a metre of me.
"Well, sit down. "
Juvia's whole face light up, and she stared at me as if expecting me to take it back. When I just pointed to the seat opposite me she sat down with such force I though the bench would break.
Had I really been so harsh on the girl?
"Juvia is excited to find out what Mira has planned. But Juvia is worried because she still hasn't gotten Christmas presents for everyone and she only has a week! What do you think Erza would like for Christmas?"
And that's how we started our first ever normal conversation.

Juvia's POV
Gray-sama told Juvia to get Erza anything to do with strawberries, which was probably good advice. Juvia had seen the way Erza's face light up whenever she had strawberry cake.
It was amazing to just sit and talk to Gray-sama and... Juvia felt like it was completely natural. She didn't have to try to get his attention because he was giving it to her anyway- which meant Juvia could just be herself for a little while. If only Gray-sama was like that all the time.

Gray's POV
She was shining today, and it was amazing to just sit and talk to her.
If only Juvia was like that all the time.