34.

••••

••••

"I kind of get what you're saying' but not fully doc," Shakur stared across at his therapist, he had been avoiding her the past month, since the LA trip.

His focus had been on women, and liquor. Today he had woke up and decided that that was enough because it wasn't helping him none and he had got himself ready— ending up showing to his appointment. Adrienne hadn't mentioned his sudden disappearance nor had she questioned him about why he had disappeared. He liked that because her helping felt genuine and not just for a check.

Adrienne crossed her legs and stared across at Shakur, "A fixer thinks or feels that they can prevent other people from experiencing pain or discomfort. They feel they can change things or people for the better." She elaborated on tell him that he was a compulsive fixer, "It starts with the best of intentions but fixing becomes dangerous when it is tied to value and lovability. Usually the fixer cannot do anything to change the situation or the person in question and they end up harming themselves or the relationship in the process."

Shakur nodded, "I don't really see how that pertains to me fully? I know that some shit' be out of my control."

"Is that before or after you step in and try to fix the person or the situation?" She paused, "For example, how'd you meet Damien and why'd you beg your parents to take him in at such an young age?"

Shakur thought back, "We knew eachother since like pre-k, and from then we were close. He used to get picked on alot— not only in school but by his family as well. His parents and siblings were the worst," he spoke— not going into too much detail. "From that point I knew I had to do something to help him out— maybe it was the little crush I had on him or maybe because I genuinely felt bad, or the status my parents held, I knew that we could give him a good life and it didn't take much convincing his parents to give him over to my parents. I couldn't stand to see the situation he was in so I fixed— helped it."

Adrienne nodded, "You and Cassidy, how'd you two start up?"

Shakur didn't want to hear her name or think about her but he wanted to get to the root of why his therapist thought he was a compulsive fixer and how it was affecting him and his life. He couldn't believe how open he had become with her over the last few months.

"I met her eighth grade? We was friends at first— I learned about her abuse and things her mom went through so we got close and I wanted to help her through that. By this time I was in the process of meeting my adoptive parents— fresman year Damien and I got into it one day.. I made the mistake of having sex with her. I never officially got back with him' so I started to date her— that's where I really learned about what she was going through at home and we got pregnant too, I convinced my adoptive parents to take her in— they did immediately once finding out she was pregnant. I helped her situation too."