Chapter 8: Darks, what did you do?

Being sent to Clay's office on the first day of Jade Mountain Academy wasn't part of Peacemaker's plan for the day but regardless, he was there. Fortunately, Starseeker and Sharkbite were both pretty bad at explaining things since all they did was make themselves look dumb as Peacemaker started rationally and calmly explaining the events that unfolded. Some witnesses confirmed Peacemaker's innocence.

"Again Starseeker? I thought you learned your lesson last year?" Clay said. So this happened last year as well? I wonder who he targeted? Peacemaker thought. Starseeker and Sharkbite didn't say anything back. Clay turned to Peacemaker.

"Peacemaker you may leave, I'm going to have a stern talk with these two. I apologize that this an experience of your first day here," Clay said sympathetically. Peacemaker nodded and left heading back to the winglet.

"Thank goodness that turned out well," Darkstalker sighed, relieved. "No offense but I was not confident in your ability to fight."

"Neither was I," Peacemaker said, trying to ignore the thought of the incident. But his thoughts betrayed him. How did I kill her? He thought he didn't have the guts to ever really hurt someone but there he was at the moment. Blood on his talons. Peacemaker looked back at past events before Clay stepped in. Darkstalker had mentioned his sister. Now that Peacemaker had thought about it, some of the stories Darkstalker sometimes told him about his dragonet days he also mentioned about his sister. But never her name.

"Hey, Darks?" Peacemaker asked still facing forward. There were no dragons in the hallway other than him.

"Hm? Yes, Peace?" Darkstalker responded facing his direction.

"You said something about your sister? Who was she?" Peacemaker asked. Darkstalker's expression turned to slight surprise before realization of what he said before struck in. He sighed,

"I guess it wouldn't hurt to tell you." Darkstalker looked up at the ceiling.

"Her name was Whiteout," Darkstalker started. "She was my little sister and she attended the same school as me, I believe we were close."

"Wait you believed you were close?"

"Yes," Darkstalker continued. "I don't feel the emotions I had from those memories," Peacemaker remembered this wasn't the first time Darkstalker also talked about having numbed or no emotions when speaking about other dragons. I guess he doesn't feel much from memories either. No wonder he sometimes sounded really monotoned or rather empty when talking about his time in his earlier, happier years(or at least what he hoped were happier).

"I'll tell you more later if you wish, however, dragons could be near," Darkstalker ended. Somehow instantly a red dragon peeked out of the corner. Peacemaker made a quick check to see if his scales were hidden. They were.

"You're back!" Cliff burst. "I was worried when dragons said you were a victim to two bullies from one year ahead."

"Thanks, I appreciate your worry," Peacemaker smiled. "But I'm fine, those two are probably getting punished and I didn't get hurt." Cliff grinned,

"That's great, also don't worry about the promise, we thought it would be fair if we got the snacks instead." Oh right, the bet. Peacemaker realized he had dropped the food when Starseeker tripped him.

"Let's go, we have some for you as well," Cliff said leading Peacemaker back. When they returned there was a bit of cheering.

"You're okay! That's great! I thought you were hurt," Mink said.

"It wouldn't be that bad, he's just a jerk, he wouldn't hurt him," Auklet said. Peacemaker wasn't so sure that was true after standing face to-face in a fight with him.