Chapter 27: Darkness at Each Step

I feel like I need to give a warning here but to add quickly. This chapter is LONG. Almost double the regular recent chapters in word length. So, hope you like reading it and enjoy the added images for this chapter.

Peacemaker thought about what happened before the Ice Kingdom, with what happened with Chameleon.

Questions began rising as he thought about it more. A few days had passed since he had first arrived and he spent the rest of the day with Mink. Peacemaker, in the space of his sleep, was looking back on that particular moment.

He wasn't genuinely sleeping, like always he kept his eyes closed for a little bit longer.

What was going through his head during the fight?

Peacemaker wondered that at first but with some thought he knew what he was honestly thinking.

When Shard was hit with the sleeping dart, Peacemaker's thought automatically went to, oh shoot I'm screwed. This was true, Chameleon could hit him with Rainwing venom if he had the opportunity to and he outmuscled Peacemaker by quite a lot. But seeing Shard holding Chameleon down one last time, Peacemaker noticed something on the ground. The Rainwing venom was spilling and Peacemaker knew that this was one of the last times he could use it in a row.

Peacemaker noticed how Chameleon was charging in so he figured Chameleon couldn't use any more Rainwing venom at the moment. Multiple ideas formed in his head at the time, Peacemaker could run away but what about Shard? Does he get left to die? Peacemaker could try to fight and kill Chameleon but Chameleon seeing it coming could easily defend that leading to the third option which was to try to get Chameleon asleep by successfully loading the dart gun in just enough time.

He knew it was risky but that's why he had his bag still, he figured for Chameleon it was going to be prison or whatever punishment Queen Glory would decide or Peacemaker would have to...take things upon his talons.

Chameleon exhausted still tried to strangle Peacemaker but wasn't able to do much when Peacemaker stabbed him with his knife. If the bag was outside of Peacemaker's reach, Peacemaker could just simply dig his claws into Chameleon. Regardless of Peacemaker not being physically strong, he was well aware of how much it would hurt...due to past experiences with a certain Nightwing, perhaps multiple. Thus, either way, Peacemaker would hit him with Rainwing venom and the same thing happened.

The time waiting for Shard to wake up was a long one. Peacemaker did not have much to do besides just staring at Chameleon, or rather his corpse. Seeing Chameleon like that reminded him of Clearblade. Even with his eyes closed, he felt...guilt rising on him but at this rate, Peacemaker had gotten used to it. What concerned him the most was the feeling of blood on his talons. Both from Clearblade and Chameleon.

The feeling every time he thought of Clearblade was...warping, to say the least, or at least how he acted upon those feelings. Back then, at the beginning of the year he had to just resist showing anything was wrong. But now? Peacemaker felt roughly the same but every time the thoughts occurred it became second nature to just...ignore them. He'd act normal regardless so Peacemaker felt like if he just assumed it was never there, it wouldn't become a problem. He desperately didn't want to think about it anymore.

...

"Hello everyone! Pleased to see you guys come in for this special elective for the week," Fatespeaker announced. "You may call me Ms. or Professor Fatespeaker." Peacemaker sat in the back with Auklet and Dusky. Around the end of each semester, there are sometimes special electives you could choose to take that last about a week or two. There was a large range of them separated between each year. These were quite interesting for most students because the Dragonets of Destiny invited other dragons to teach these courses.