PROLOUGE: "Let me be your tutor"

With each step Lyra Downsforth took, her heart beat began to grow louder and louder in her ears. She swallowed hard before turning to look back towards where her mother had stood moments ago, even though Lyra knew she wouldn't be there. Her mother was never the kind of person to let anyone see her cry. Lyra wasn't sure if her mother's tears when saying farewell for the school year were from her house now being empty, or because her mother now felt free.

    Students screaming and cheering as they met their friends pulled Lyra from her thoughts and her glance back to the long walk she had ahead of her to find a compartment. She began trying to hold the closed basket that hung from her arm as close to her as possible as she squeezed by other students that stood crowded in the long hall of the train car. As Lyra crept past, she looked into the compartments on either side of her.

    Each was full of students showing each other random objects they had acquired during the summer holidays or telling each other what they had done. Lyra kept going until she was almost at the back of the train car, where she found an almost empty compartment. A tall, skinny ginger girl stood on one of the seats, leaning her whole upper body out of the window, and screaming down towards someone.

    "Mum! Dad! I'll be fine!!" She called down, waving down at her parents; A short, round woman wiped her tears from her face above her bright smile and a tall, thinner man stood beaming up at his daughter.

    Lyra cleared her throat slightly before entering, still holding her basket and bag close to her body. The redheaded girl turned to look towards Lyra. A smile, much like the girl's mother's, rested across her freckled face.

    "Can.. I sit here?" Lyra asked, swallowing hard again. This made the red-haired girl pull the rest of her body out of the window and nod, before holding out her hand.

    "Of course, I'm Ginny Weasley, and you are?"

    "Lyra, Lyra Downsforth, it's nice to meet you," She said as she sat down in the empty seat across from Ginny.

    Ginny climbed down off the seat and plopped down into it. She looked towards Lyra, blinking a few times before smiling.

    "What's in the basket?" She asked, motioning to the closed basket in Lyra's arms that she held onto for dear life.

    "Oh," she said, looking down at the tightly interlocked slats of the basket. "My kitten, Aurora." She spoke as opened the small, woven door of the basket.
A small, scruffy calico kitten slowly peaked her head out of the basket. She just looked up at Lyra, just as nervous as she was.

    "I wish my mum would let me get a cat," Ginny said, reaching out her hand to pet the small patch of white fur on Aurora's chin. "But, honestly, it would probably try to eat my brother's rat." She smiled at the girl across from her, chuckling slightly.

    "I got lucky," she pet the top of Aurora's head softly, "she followed me home one day, and my mother only said yes, because she would be coming to school with me. My brother and sister don't have any pets."

    "Do they go to Hogwarts? My brothers do, at least the ones who haven't finished school."

    "Mhm," Lyra nodded, biting her lip slightly, and looking out the window as the city of London zoomed past us.

    "Are they in Gryffindor? All of my brothers have been. Which means I probably will be too."

    Lyra shook her head. "No, they're in different houses."

    "Oh, well, less to live up to then. I wouldn't know what would happen if I got sorted into another house."

    "You're a first year, too?' Lyra asked, looking wide-eyed at the tall, beautiful girl across from her.