TWENTY-SEVEN: "Don't let anyone know I gave you this"

Lyra walked straight up to Hermione the next morning at Breakfast, George and Ginny followed at her heels. Hermiome sat looking down at the same magazine Lyra hadn't been able to put down since Fred had shown her.

    "I just don't understand," Hermione mumbled to herself as she scanned the article with her eyes.

    "I can't believe she can get away with writing lies," Lyra said as she sat down across from her, George and Ginny sat down on either side of her. "I mean, I don't even know how she got those pictures of Juno, Ares, and I at the ball, either.."

    "I just don't get how she could've heard my conversation with Krum," she took a deep breath, finally looking up at Lyra. "He invited me to Bulgaria during the second task, before he even set me down."

"Krum invited you to Bulgaria?" Ginny's eyes got wide and a small smile rested on her lips,"What did you say?"

    "I barely know him, Gin," Hermione rolled her eyes slightly at Ginny, who just shrugged her shoulders and gave Hermione a look, "but I told him we could be pen pals."

    Lyra would've sworn Hermione blushed, but the subject was quickly changed as a small Slytherin girl walked up to Hermione holding a piece of paper. The girl drops it in front of Hermione before walking back to her house table. Hermione, Ginny, and Lyra all looked between ourselves and the folded piece of parchment that sat on the table between us.

    "I'll open it," Fred reached across the table as he sat down on the other side of George, snatching up the paper. He leaned back as Hermione tried to take back hold of it. He pulled it close to his face before opening it.

    They all waited for something to explode or erupt from the page, but nothing happened. Fred quickly scanned the paper before he pulled out his wand, pointed it at the paper and with a quick motion it sizzled to ash. "Who gave you that, Hermione?"

    "Why? What did it say?" She asked across the table, sitting back down in her seat. She looked behind her towards the First-year Slytherin girl who had handed it to her, before turning back to the rest of the them and sinking down onto the table. She crossed her arms on the table  before she rested her chin on them, looking up at Fred. "What did it say, Fred?"

    "Nothing important," he said, looking down at the small pile of ash on the table before he swept it away, "Don't worry about it."

    "None of this is important," George added, motioning to the Magazine that still sat open between Hermione and Lyra, "It's all just gossip, Skeeter writes to distract witches and wizards from their sad, boring lives."

    Lyra nodded, even though her eyes stayed focused on the small reminisce of ash that laid on the table. What did the note say?

    She shook her head slightly as food began to pop up across the table. Were people going to start handing me rude notes I shouldn't read? She placed a few pieces of toast, some ham, and an egg onto her plate even though food was the last thought on her mind.

    "Has anyone said anything else about the articles?' Ginny asked, looking between Hermione and Lyra.

    "Not to me," she looked around the great hall, and in the moment, she noticed how many eyes were actually on the two of them. She swallowed hard and turned quickly back to face the table. Lyra pulled down the back of her sweater without even thinking, and tried to make herself seem as small as possible.

    "I've had a few comments," Hermione's eyes darted towards the Slytherin table at Pansy Parkinson, a Slytherin girl in her year who Lyra often noticed with Draco or Ares. The magazine was picked up by Ron as he and Harry came to finally join breakfast. He rolled it up before tossing it onto the floor.