TWELVE: "I bet, I can find you a date"

As it got closer and closer to the normal winter holiday, the more and more buzz filled the hallways about the Yule Ball. And who had asked who, and who turned who down. As a 3rd year, Lyra never expected in any way to be asked to the Yule Ball. But, when she entered the Great Hall and saw Neville Longbottom awkwardly walk  up to Ginny and ask her, she knew Ginny would find a way for her to go.

"I bet, I can find you a date." Said Ginny, smiling looking around the library as they sat going over transfiguration homework.  Lyra looked down out the window onto the snowing grounds of the school, she watched as students played in the snow and had snowball fights.

"It's only two weeks away, Ginny, all the older students already have dates, or they decided to go home for the holidays." She sighed softly, she wanted to go to the dance, but she knew she would never get a date to the ball.

"I know of at least three boys that do not have dates." Ginny's face morphed into the mischievous grin Lyra knew meant Ginny had a plan.

"Who?" She asked, trying to hide her excitement. Ginny quickly closed her books and shoved them into her bag before doing the same for Lyra, before grabbing her hand and pulling her up out of her seat.

"Follow me," she held her hand tightly as they walked throughout the castle, looking for someone. They started in the Great Hall, but Ginny quickly pulled her back out, and began heading towards the portrait of the Fat Lady.

"You know, I'm not allowed in your common room, right?" Lyra said, softly as they turned towards the Fat Lady.

"How do you even know this is where our common room is?" Ginny poked Lyra with her elbow, like her brother had when they joked about Ginny the night and snuck out to see the dragons. Lyra's stomach fluttered at the memory.

"She cannot come in, password or not," cried the Fat Lady, looking Lyra up and down,"She is a Ravenclaw." Ginny sighed, rolling her eyes towards the painting.

"I'll be right back, then," Ginny looked towards the portrait before whispering something Lyra didn't understand. The portrait swung open and Ginny entered the portrait while Lyra waited for her to return.

About three minutes later, Ginny returned, her hand tight around someone's wrist. As she pulled them through the door to the Gryffindor common room, Lyra could hear them arguing with her. After they stepped through fully, she knew who it was the moment she saw them.

"Ron?" She asked, giving Ginny a questioning look.

"He doesn't have a date..." but before Ginny could continue Ron cut her off.

"Actually, for your information, I do have a date. Harry and I both do as a matter of fact. And I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't literally drag me away just to make fun of me with Lyra, okay?" he huffed, pulling his wrist away from Ginny's grip.

"I was trying to make fun of you, you git. Lyra needs a date still, that's the only reason I pulled you out here to begin with." She sighed, rolling her eyes towards him. His face changed quickly, as it transformed from anger to almost pity. Lyra's heart sank, and she knew her face was a bright pink.

"Ginny, I don't think I'm going to find a date," she whispered, so only Ginny could hear. Ron shook his head before turning towards her.

"I know someone who doesn't have a date, Fred was making fun of him for it. He'll probably not care, I heard he's more excited for the after party than the actual Ball." joked Ron, before smiling towards them and turning back to the Fat Lady, who had been eavesdropping on our conversation.

"Oh I love young love," she smiled towards Lyra, before opening for Ron after he whispered the password.

"I told you, I'd find you a date," Ginny squealed slightly, smiling over at her best friend. "Plus. He'll probably just hang out and let you hang out with me!"