EIGHT: "Fred and I can take care of it"

Lyra left the Great Hall with just enough time to get down in the Dungeon in time for Snape's class, yet as she stepped out into the corridor she was pulled by her wrist into a random door. Her heart began to race and her body stopped cold, what was happening? She pulled back her wrist, roughly, before rubbing it again.

"Sorry about that," said a familiar voice, "I found this, and I remembered you wearing it on the train here." She looked up to see George standing there, holding the very sweater she had been looking for earlier that morning. She snatched it quickly, but before she could pull her hand back, he grabbed her forearm.

"What is this?" he said, motioning to her wrist, pulling up her sleeve slightly. A dark bruise rested on her pale skin, she turned away.

"It's nothing, it was an accident," Lyra pulled her arm back, pulling back down her sleeve. "I'm going to be late to potions." She turned on my heels, leaving George standing there, in shock.

"If someone is hurting you," he said, following tightly at her heels, "Fred and I can take care of it. If it's Draco and the Slytherins..." Lyra shook her head, taking a quick turn down the stairs, hoping he would stop following her.

"Snape has been threatening to take more house points away every time I'm late for the rest of term, I'm sorry, but I have to go." She turned into the potion's classroom, George stood at the door until it slammed shut by the flick of Snape's wand.

"Late again, Ms. Downsforth," Snape scowled at me, "I'm sorry you had to leave your little date for potions class, 15 points from Ravenclaw."

Lyra's cheeks turned a bright red as she found her seat next to Luna and two Slytherin girls who giggled at Snape's remark. Snape walked over to them, before extending his hand.

"Do you at least have the work you have to do?" Lyra nodded, grabbing two scrolls out of her bag. He examined them."This is only half of the work I still need from you. 10 more points from Ravenclaw."

Snape walked up to the front of the class, and motioned to the board, the directions for Girding potion. "And this leaves you with the Girding Potion which may be consumed to increase one's endurance for a considerable number of weeks. I do warn those of you who wish to experiment with this potion that the maximum dosage is no more than two of these vials." he held up one of the smallest vials of a potion Lyra had ever seen, it was only a few drops.

Lyra followed the instructions to a tea as she began to add ingredients into my cauldron. It turned from a turquoise, to a light pink. She added the toasted dragonfly thoraxes until the potion turned orange. She continued to add ingredients and it continued to morph into different colours. As she added the final ingredients it turned a sickening green and produced a disgusting odour. She poured a small amount into the vials given to them before standing and walking it over to Snape's desk. She placed it down, and turned on her heels walking back to my seat, to start working on the homework she still had to do for Snape.

Luna struggled with her potion, as it turned a bright red, she smiled at it. She poured it in her own vial before walking it up to Snape, she skipped back to our table before taking out a magazine and holding it upside down.

Lyra wrote quickly, getting two more scrolls of work done by the end of class. She walked up to Snape and held out her hand.

"I cannot take those, class time is not the time to work on makeup work, Ms. Downsworth." He said, looking her in the eyes.

"But," she started, but he snapped his fingers to interrupt her.

"Do not talk back to me, Ms. Downsforth, Plus, look, another one of those Red Haired Weasley's is waiting for you." Ginny stood at the door, she had been walking Lyra to Defense Against the Dark Arts all year, for her next class was right down the hall. Lyra stood, and walked out angrily.