TWENTY-NINE: "No magic, none whatsoever"

Lyra didn't tell anyone about her dream after George's birthday party; she didn't know what it meant or if it had anything to do with Juno,  in the first place. She still hadn't figured out who the "her" she was trying to get to was, and maybe it was just due to her dabble in mind-altering substances that night. She thought about telling George or Ginny a few times in the weeks leading up to her holiday back home, but she never found the right moment.

Lyra figured she would at least tell Juno while they were home for the holiday, but when the day came to leave; Juno was nowhere in sight.

"Where's Juno?" She asked Hagrid as he walked the small group of students taking the Hogwarts Express back to London for the Easter holiday.

"Did no one tell ya?" He said, looking around at the other students.

"Tell me what?" She asked, trying to see what he was looking for, but she didn't see anything that would give her any clue.

"Triwizard Champions aren't allowed to leave the school," he took a deep breath before looking down at her with pity in his eyes, "It's just you and Ares heading on back home."

Lyra's stomach lurched and all the air in her lungs disappeared. The rumble of the train was the only thing that pulled her back to her surroundings. She was going to be locked in a house with her mother, father, and brother for an entire weekend. Without George or Juno or Ginny.

She took a deep breath, trying to refill her lungs before turning towards the red locomotive that sat rattling a few feet away. She felt Hagrid's eyes on her back as she stepped into the train, and headed towards the back hoping for an empty compartment.

Lyra was lucky in that one aspect, as she sat down pulling  Aurora's basket onto her lap, she didn't like the train rocking and rattling.

The long ride took even longer sitting completely alone trying not to think about everything that seemed to flood her mind constantly; George, Juno, her mother, and most importantly, her nightmares.

Her mother's face was stern and flat as she waited on the platform for the two of them, she was dressed in dark robes and a large hat that matched in colour.

Her face softened slightly as she greeted Ares and pulled him into a quick hug, Lyra didn't get such pleasantries; her mother grabbed her hand and they began walking towards the platform exit and into the muggle part of Kings Cross Station.

None of them spoke until they were enclosed in her mother's car, and Mrs. Downsforth knew no one could hear them.

"It's such a shame that Juno could not join you, too, but your father is grateful the two of you could come," Her lips puckered slightly at the words, like she had eaten something sour by accident.

"Is Nan coming down for the holiday?" Ares asked, almost completely ignoring his mother. His slight act of defiance almost shocked Lyra, but she tried not to show it on her face, as it would be her fault somehow.

"Yes, which means no magic, none whatsoever," she turned to look back at Ares and Lyra before turning forward again, starting to car and beginning them on the long journey back to their home.

The Downsforths' lived in a tall, brick and wooden building that was squished between two small, antique stores. From the outside it was nothing special, a few simple windows with flower baskets  hanging from their sills that crept down the front.
Lyra carried Aurora's basket close to her chest as she approached. Her stomach churned and she wasn't sure if it was from the lack of food she had had that day or the fear that was creeping up on her knowing she was going to be here for the next few days.