FIFTEEN: "Welcome to the Yule Ball"

Luckily, there were tons of other Gryffindor students leaving the common room as Lyra, Ginny, and Hermione came down, sneaking out of the portrait hole. Lyra kept her eyes out for a small group of red haired boys, but the whole walk down she didn't see them. Students filled the courtyard as well as the Entrance Hall to the Great Hall. The usual dark corridor was filled with small blue flames, and the walls were covered in ice. Her eyes scanned the corridor, taking everyone in their dress robes in.

"Do you see them?" Ginny whispered to her, she shook her head as she scanned again. "And where did Hermione go?" She said, looking behind them.

"Maybe to meet that mystery date of hers," Lyra nudged Ginny with her elbow, before the two continued to scan the crowd before she saw Ginny stop quickly.

"I found Harry and Ron, C'mon." She pulled Lyra by her hand, causing her feet to almost come out from under her. They dodged between groups of people to the very front of the crowd by the door of the Great Hall. There stood Harry and Ron, both looking around. Ron tugged at the lace collar of his hand-me-down dress robes.

"Have you seen anyone else?" Ginny asked, both of them turning their heads to the two of them, before they both shook their heads.

"No," Harry said, continuing to scan the crowd behind them. He stood on the tips of his toes as he tried to see better. "Knowing them, they're just running late. I don't think I've ever been anywhere on time with the Weasleys." Ron shot him a look before hitting his arm softly.
"Hey, leave my family alone." He rolled his eyes before turning to them. "Have you seen Hermione? We've been looking for her for ages. I bet she doesn't even have a..."

But, before Ron could continue, Parvarti and Padma walked up to join them. Harry and Ron gave them a half-assed greeting before everyone went deadly quiet as they all watched a beautiful girl in a pale blue dress walk down the stairs towards them, arm in arm with Victor Krum.

"Who's that with Krum?" Lyra heard Ron say, almost in awe. Ginny tugged on her dress slightly to get her attention before she realised just who was walking down the stairs towards them. "Hermione?!" Ron's voice came out of nowhere, confirming Lyra's thought. Hermione smiled at him, her cheeks blushing furiously.

"You look beautiful," Harry said, hugging Hermione. "Hi, Victor." His smile faded only slightly as he turned towards his competition. Ron wouldn't even speak to Hermione as she stood next to Victor. Lyra couldn't tell who he was more jealous of, to be honest. Luckily, the awkward silence didn't last long before Victor and Hermione walked away.

Her eyes continued to search the room for George, Fred, and Lee. And luckily, she wasn't the only one. She noticed Juno standing in the middle of her friends. Her golden dress shining through them. They all stood around her with their dates, as they all seemed to be scanning the room. As Neville came and took Ginny away closer to the door, waiting for it to open, Lyra joined Juno's group.

"Have you seen them?" Juno asked and Lyra could feel that she was getting frustrated at this point. Lyra shook her head. Where were they? Why are they running so late? What if this was just a big prank? George had only asked Lyra to pull a big prank on her, and not show. But Lee would never ruin his chances with Juno, Lyra knew that to be true. He had been pinning after her for years, and now he wasn't going to show? She shook her head at her own thoughts.

"Have you checked the courtyard?" Her voice was barely audible, not wanting Juno's friends to hear her. She nodded, sighing before looking down at her watch. Lyra leaned over to see as well, only two minutes until eight o'clock.

"I swear if Lee makes me walk out there alone in front of everyone to dance, I'm going to kill him," she said, looking over her shoulder again. Lyra nodded, agreeing, even though she wasn't sure exactly what she meant. She looked down at Lyra, and gave her a small, weak smile.. The kind of look you couldn't exactly read, the kind where you couldn't tell if they were sorry for you or if they were just overall upset. "Plus, If George stands you up, especially after..."