THIRTY-ONE: "Add it to the list of things that don't sense"

The ride to the train station was silent. Only the engine of the car quietly hummed in their ears. Ares rested his head against the window as their mother drove. Their father had barely made it back to the house in time to wish them off, and he barely spoke to their mother or Ares. Lyra knew her Nan must have told him what Ares had said when they were on their way to the market the day before.

She sat in the back, watching the two of them. Lyra wondered if her mother knew Ares was telling someone things about Juno, and she wondered what her brother thought of their mother now, now that he had seen what she had done to his little sister so many times before.

The silence after he had mentioned their mother to whoever he had been speaking to the other morning told Lyra he was at least thinking about the pain her mother had caused her.

Their mother pulled into the car park of King's Cross station like she had so many times before. She looked at them as she parked, not saying anything but both of them knew this was her saying goodbye. They climbed out of the car and Ares grabbed his bag from the boot of the car. He slammed it close before walking up to their mother's car window and knocking on it. Lyra, on the other hand, stood back.

He and their mother spoke for a moment, exchanging proper goodbyes and even a hug through the window, which Lyra knew she had no business even asking for. She adjusted the strap of her bag on her shoulder before turning away from the car, not wanting to watch them any longer.

She walked up to the large, tan building not worried about if Ares was following her. She followed the path they always had taken to get to Platform 9 ¾.

She checked her surroundings carefully as she stood in front of the brick pillar that was secretly a doorway to another platform. No muggles were paying attention to her and she took a few steps back to be able to get speed and began running towards the wall.
Even after years of doing that, Lyra still waited for the hard impact of the bricks against her body. But, as the smell of burning coal hit her nose, she knew she had made it through.

The usual bustle and noise of the platform did not meet her ears though, when she opened her eyes she noticed only a small number of students and families saying goodbye to one another.

She walked towards the train, showing the conductor her ticket as she stepped off the platform and up onto the train. He smiled at her, but didn't speak. He moved out of the way of the doorway and she stepped through.

It was unusual for the conductor to be checking tickets for the Hogwarts express, at least Lyra never noticed him doing it when she boarded every September. She shrugged it off, heading to the back of the car and finding an empty compartment.

She set her bag and Aurora's basket on the seat across from her, letting Aurora out to roam after shutting the door to the compartment. Lyra reached across, grabbing her copy of Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander out of her bag. She pulled her legs up to her chest as she leaned against the wall as she flipped through the pages.

She read until the train had left the station, as it rattled across the rails, a yawn escaped her lips. She pulled her jacket closer around her before letting the train rock her to sleep.

A scream echoed through Lyra's ears, she looked around trying to find the source, but it was too dark. She reached in her pocket for her wand, but it wasn't there. She cussed to herself as she took a step closer to where she had thought the scream had come from. Her stomach twisted as another high pitched cry rang out. She looked across and saw a bright light. On the edge of the light, she noticed two figures in the darkness. She ran towards them and as she got closer, Lyra began to recognize them.
"Potter? Krum?" She whispered, Juno's voice poured out of her mouth. They both jumped at her voice. "Are you two okay?"
"No," Krum answered honestly, reaching out for her in the darkness. His hand grabbed her wrist, pulling her into the light of Harry's wand. "Look." He pointed into the darkness with his other hand, and she saw what they had been staring at.
On the ground was a figure, mumbling under his breath to himself.
"...Warn dumbledore.." she made out through the mumbles and cries, her eyes shot towards Harry who was staring at her and Krum now.
"We have to go, we have to warm Dumbledore, you two stay here." Harry commanded.
"He's mad!" Viktor protested, looking at me. "You stay here, I'm going to bed." With that, he let go of her and ran towards the Lake.
Harry and 'Juno' both sighed to each other, before she nodded.
"I'll stay here, go. But, I don't have my wand." Harry looked down at the wand in his hand before handing it to her and he started to hike back towards the castle in the darkness. She looked down at the man who she knew she had seen before, trying to see through the cuts and scrapes that covered his face.
"Mr. Crouch?" She asked in surprise, looking down at the man who was losing it. She looked around, turning her back to him for just a moment, seeing if Harry had made it back to the castle. She knew she shouldn't have turned her back when she saw a flash of light come from behind her and everything faded to darkness.