TWO: "Goodnight Lyra, have sweet dreams"

Noise buzzed throughout the Great Hall as everyone waited for Dumbledore's usual beginning of term speech after the sorting. Students weren't supposed to speak between the sorting and Dumbledore's speech, but this year for some reason, no one could follow that rule.
Besides maybe Lyra, who sat alone at the Ravenclaw table as she had done just about every single year since she started at Hogwarts. She was used to it, as only friend wasn't in her house, but her eyes still always wandered their way over to the other houses' tables, longing for company.

    She looked over at the table to her left, trying to find the curly-haired girl she shared a last name with. Juno sat with her group of friends, smiling and showing them her new issue of Focus: Seeker Weekly. Lyra assumed looking at pictures of Krum, Juno's most recent Quidditch crush. Ever since Juno had first seen a game of Quidditch, she had been instantly drawn to it. Her second year at Hogwarts, she tried out for the Hufflepuff team. Lyra remembered the letter their father had written to Juno about how unhappy he was that she would participate in such a dangerous activity.

    Dumbledore stood and the whole room went silent, waiting to listen to his speech.

    "Now we're all settled in and sorted, I'd like to make an announcement. This castle will not only be your home this year but home to some very special guests as well. Hogwarts has been chosen to host a legendary event. The Triwizard tournament. Now for those of you who do not know, the Triwizard tournament brings together three schools for a series of magical contests. From each school a single contestant is selected to compete. Now let me be clear, if chosen you stand alone. And trust me when I say these contests are not for the faint hearted, to tell you more we have two officials from the ministry,"

    He then introduced two wizards Lyra had never seen before. They stood before the students and began explaining the tournament further. The two men couldn't have been greater opposites though. One stood, thin and lean in robes that resembled a muggle business man's three piece suit and the other in a bright yellow and black striped quidditch uniform that probably stopped fitting him correctly before Lyra had even been born.

    As they mentioned the age restriction of twenty-one on participants, the Great Hall filled with roars of protest. Especially from two ginger twins at the Gryffindor table. Lyra's eyes strayed from the two men speaking towards the two tall young men: Fred and George Weasley.

    They called out in protest towards the two ministry officials, who just looked on towards the crowd of students trying to ignore the outcry they had started.

    Lyra then looked towards her sister, who beamed up at the Wizards speaking over the students' protests. Juno had just turned twenty-one in July of the summer holidays. Lyra knew at that moment, her older sister would be trying her hardest to be one of the participants in the tournament.

    After the two ministry officials sat back down, the feast began to pop up on the tables around them. Everyone started to fill their plates with piles of food from around them.

    Lyra listened to every single other student around her as they whispered about putting their name in for a chance to be the Hogwarts Champion, or how angry they were they weren't allowed to enter.

    Lyra swore the feast went by faster than any feast had before. Just as the plates vanished before them, Dumbledore stood once more, and send the students on their way to their common rooms for the night.

    Lyra stood and followed a group of 6th-year girls she had been sitting close to all the way up to Ravenclaw tower. As they reached the door with the Gold Eagle knocker, she wondered what the riddle would be.

    "What can travel the world while remaining in a corner?" Said the Eagle. The girls ahead of her all discussed answers. Lyra smirked to herself slightly before stepping forward.

    "A stamp," she answered calmly. The door opened wide for them to enter. One of the girls thanked her before filing in, they all headed straight towards the girls' dormitory. Lyra followed in suit, taking a different turn than them into the third year dormitory.

    Her trunk and Aurora's basket sitting on the bed furthest from the door. She set Aurora's basket on the ground before opening it slowly. She snuck out cautiously, looking around slowly before pouncing up onto the bed and curling up on Lyra's pillow. She smiled down at Aurora before petting her softly. She purred loudly. Lyra began to unpack her things, placing her blankets on the bed and her books on the shelves next to her bed.

    After she finished unpacking, she sat down at the foot of her bed with her third year transfiguration book in hand. She crossed her legs under her as she began to flip through the pages, trying to get ahead as best she could. But she read her eyes drifted closed and sleep took her over.

    She was awoken by the voices of her dormmates finally coming up the stairs after having caught up in the Common Room. She looked over to her left at the skinny blonde girl who had skipped to the Ravenclaw table years before.

    "Hello, Lyra!" The blonde girl smiled at Lyra, her voice almost felt like a ghost, it was so soft. Lyra smiled and waved across the room at the escentric blonde girl.

    "Hello, Luna. Have a good summer?" She asked, still half asleep before she repositioned herself into her bed. Aurora woke up as she felt her owner lay her head next to her, she purred against Lyra's face before standing up and climbing to lay on Lyra's stomach.

    "It was fantastic, my father and I went and searched for Gringles!" In Lyra's 18 years alive, she had never heard of a Gringle, so she forced a small smile and nodded.

    "I'm headed back to bed, Luna, I'm glad you had a good holiday," the words were mumbled against the pillow.

    "Goodnight Lyra, have sweet dreams," she barely heard before she closed her eyes and her mind began to wander.

    Lyra could see her mother sobbing and screaming. She had seen her mother upset, but this was different. She clutched a sweater to her chest, sobbing into it. Lyra's stomach lurched. The yellow and black sweater drenched in what looked like blood. Lyra looked around her trying to find the source of the blood. She looked towards her brother, whose hair went from its usual bright green to his "natural" brown. She hadn't seen her brother's natural hair color in years. It only happened when he was beyond sad, beyond heartbroken. Lyra had only seen it this way a handful of times in her life. He paid her no mind at all, his eyes transfixed on the ground in front of them all. Laying there, cold and lifeless, was Juno. Lyra felt her breathing stop, her heart beating out of control in her chest, and my eyes starting to water. What had happened? Who had hurt her? Lyra asked herself as she fell to her knees, clutching at the body in front of her. They were surrounded by tons of people, some cheering and some screaming. Only half had realized what was happening. That a girl was dead.

    Lyra woke up in a cold sweat, even though the room was warm. She had never had a dream that felt so real. Her eyes began to water as she remembered what she had just witnessed. She wanted to run and check on Juno, but knew she would get caught being out of bed. She looked around and noticed the sun was beginning to rise above the lake outside her window. She took a few heavy breaths, trying to pull herself back into reality. She stood up and began grabbing her robes for the day before exiting her dormitory and heading towards the bathroom to bathe.

    She laid in the bath, the warm water rinsing off the horrid feeling and cold sweat from her dream. Her mind still churned, wondering what exactly she had seen. How did Juno die? Why wasn't her father there? Who were all the wizards cheering and screaming around her family?

    She dunked her head under the water to stop the questions her thoughts were bombarding at her. She sat, head under water until her chest started to burn. She pulled herself out taking a few deep breaths, refilling her lungs with the oxygen they begged for.

    She pulled herself out of the large tub and wrapped a towel around herself as she sat against the edge of the bath. She stared out the large stained glass windows, with her head in her hands as she wondered what this meant for her.