SEVENTEEN: "Lyra, you just do something to me"

The next week before term started again, Lyra rarely left her bed, let alone her dorm room. Luna would bring her back food from meals, and reminded her every single day that Ginny was asking about her.

A pile of letters began to pile up right inside her window; a few from her mother, one from Ginny, and one from Juno. They sat there unopened until the day before classes started when a small owl landed on the window; one of the ones from the Hogsmeade Owlery, in its small talons, was a dark purple envelope.

As the owl noticed that Lyra had seen it, it began to hoot loudly until she walked to the window, still wearing George's large black shirt and a pair of her own sleeping shorts. The owl dropped the letter as her fingers wrapped around it and it flew off.

This letter made her more curious than any she had received since Christmas, due to the large letters written on the front saying "PLEASE OPEN" instead of her name. Her fingers softly ripped it open. Inside was a piece of parchment folded together. She opened slowly, unsure of truly what she was about to read.

Lyra,
I know I am probably one of the last people you would want to hear from currently, but I cannot handle knowing you are hiding away, even from Ginny, because of me. Please meet me at the portrait of the fat lady tonight, just as we did the night of the dragons.
I am sorry
George

She held the letter as she sat down softly on her bed, looking at it over and over again. If George only knew the real reason she was hiding away, the way it felt to see what she saw in her dream on Christmas night. The small, almost baby-like swaddle she had seen, as well as the reptilian voice that echoed through her head every single time she closed her eyes, kill the spare.

Who was the spare? Juno? And if so, what made her a "spare"? Her stomach twisted and turned the longer Lyra kept the thought in her brain. She finally set the letter down on the bed in front of her, and turned towards Aurora, softly petting her. She chirped softly and climbed into Lyra's lap. She looked down at her cat, grabbing the note and holding it out so she could read it.

"What do you think, pretty girl? Should I go see, George?" Aurora looked up at her before, purring loudly and rubbing her face against the parchment in Lyra's hand. She sighed, petting her again before standing. She looked herself up and down quickly in the mirror before grabbing a pair of jeans, her sweater, and her toiletry bag and heading straight for the bathroom.

ϟ   ϟ  ϟ   ϟ

Her stomach churned and twisted just as it had when she thought about her dream as she waited outside the portrait of the fat lady, whose snores echoed through the empty corridor. She thought about turning on her heels and running back up all the stairs she had just walked down, but as she heard the creak of the door to the Gryffindor common room open, she knew it was too late.

"You weren't late this time," George's joking whisper admitted an energy that calmed Lyra almost instantly, yet his deep honey eyes reminded her of why she hadn't seen George since Christmas since he kissed her. They reminded her of the look on his face before, and now he stood smiling down at her as if nothing had happened.

She nodded her head, faking a small smile. His smile faded, and he just nodded back softly before motioning for her to follow him. Lyra figured they would be heading straight for the forbidden forest as they had before, yet they just walked further and further into the castle. They climbed a few flights of stairs. Lyra knew They must've been on the sixth or seventh floor at this point.

"Are you lo..." before she could finish her question, George stopped and looked at a large door, her eyebrows furrowed while she tried to remember if she  had even seen this door here before. He looked down both ways of the corridor before he opened the door and they ushered themselves in.