TWENTY-TWO: "What's the fun in that?"

By mid February, Lyra was positive that Ginny would never speak to her again. Ginny managed to avoid her during Deviation by sitting across the room, and ignoring every owl she sent her. Lyra sent them daily the first two weeks, but after she realised she needed to give her the space she wanted, Lyra stopped trying. And time didn't seem to be working like the twins had suggested.

George and her continued to sneak around at night, but he did join her now at the Ravenclaw table during every meal. Telling her about his plans of opening a joke shop one day, and all the products he and Fred had already created. And, sadly, how much his mother hated their dream. Fred joined the two of them some days to talk about new Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes product ideas and if Bagman sent another owl. Lyra tried to avoid staring across the room at Ginny, but on days she missed her, she couldn't help it.

She stared across the room thinking about all the things that reminded her of Ginny trying not to cry on the really bad days, those seemed to be the days after nightmares.

If Lyra wasn't wrapped up in George's arms, the nightmares seemed to creep their way in no matter how hard she tried. Most of them just showed Juno's lifeless body before she would shoot awake, unable to go back to sleep.

On one of those very nights, Lyra sat on her bed, holding Aurora in her lap petting her, trying to calm her nerves the best she could. When she noticed the small owl that usually delivered George's letters sitting on the windowsill

"This late?" She whispered to herself before standing up, walking over and opening the window to grab the letter. The owl nodded a thanks before it flew back off in the direction it had come from.

She opened the purple envelope carefully as she walked back to her bed, she climbed up pulling her legs to her chest as she pulled the letter out.

Meet me tomorrow at noon, I'm taking you to Hogsmeade. So try to get some sleep.
-George

Hogsmeade? She read the letter a few times before she climbed back out of bed and opened the trunk at the bottom of her bed as quietly as possible. She placed the letter and the envelope in with the rest of the letters George had sent her, which hid at the bottom of her trunk. After making sure they are hidden well enough, she grabbed a piece of parchment and quill. She quickly jotted down her response before going up to Luna's owl that sat awake on its perch, pruning its feathers.

I'll meet you tomorrow
-Lyra

She held out the paper for the owl and whispered to take it to George Weasley, it took a moment before finally grabbing it and flying out the opened window. She waited until the owl flew back into the window and found its perch before she closed the window and climbed back into bed, wondering why they were going to Hogsmeade the next day.

ϟ ϟ ϟ ϟ

Lyra tugged on the hem of her skirt as she walked towards George, who was further in the castle than she had expected.

"Why're you meeting me all the way up here? I thought we'd be meeting in the courtyard," she asked, motioning to the sea of students heading in one direction. All the students always met in the courtyard before they headed to Hogsmeade so the Professors have a headcount of who is leaving school grounds.

"Well," George said, taking her hand in his, "what's the fun in that?"

They weaved through students hand-in-hand as they went deeper into the castle, until George found an enormous statue of a one-eyed witch, with a large, protruding hump coming off her back.