15 - Mary Turns One

***A MONTH AND A HALF LATER***

I was finishing setting up the small decorations we were having for Mary's birthday. Roberta was going to be there along with Misses McClusky and even Evelyn was showing up. It was a small party, but we didn't need anything huge, and we just wanted to show Mary all the love she always deserved.

I was finally off my crutches and able to do most of everything myself. That was still hurting was my one wrist, but I wore a brace on it.

"Vee, let me carry the food trays please..." Frank said coming up behind me and taking one as I went to walk away.

"Frank, I'm fine." I said and he smiled.

"Just let me do it okay?" Frank said and kissed my cheek and I smiled. "Why don't you go get the birthday girl. I think she just woke up." Frank said and I smiled since I knew she had been down for a nap.

"Can I put her in the outfit please?!" I asked and he laughed but nodded.

"You can. I thought about it, and it is her special day, she should look like a princess." Frank said and I smiled. I walked into her room to find her standing in her crib and she squealed when she saw me.

"Hey birthday girl! Did you get a good nap?" I asked as I picked her up and from the crib and sat in the rocking chair with her for a minute.

"You won't want to do this soon. What am I going to do when you get too old for this?" I asked in a whispered as we rocked and soon, I knew we had to get up and get her ready. I pulled the rainbow outfit from her closet and started getting her ready.

"Mama

"Mama." Mary said and looked at me and stopped dead in my tracks.

"No baby girl I'm not your mama..." I said in a low voice.

"MAMA!" Mary then yelled and I looked at her. I just gave her a weak smile and finished getting her ready. I walked out to Frank, and he smiled seeing her but then saw my face.

"What's wrong?" Frank asked and I sighed and before I could answer him there was a knock at the door. I looked at Frank and took Mary.

"Let's go see whose here!" I said excitedly as we got to the door, and I opened it to see Roberta standing there. Mary squealed and reached for her, so she took her.

"Frank you let you put the outfit on her!" Roberta said excitedly and I nodded.

"He didn't have a choice, I was going to do it anyway." I said and she smiled.

💕 💕 💕

The party was well underway, and we had opened gifts, and everyone was just fawning over Mary, even Evelyn was being well-behaved.

"Hey, what happened earlier when you get getting Mary dressed? You seemed upset." Frank said as we were in the kitchen getting the smash cake for Mary ready and I just shook my head.