McKenna's POV - Manic Episode

I checked my watch again.

Lee was now eleven minutes late.

I let out a sigh, shaking my head.

I wasn't going to have time to eat breakfast before class if I didn't go now.

I rose up on my tip-toes, surveying the sidewalk one last time.

There was no sign of him.

I hiked my backpack up on my shoulder, heading towards the cafeteria with a sigh. Maybe he'd beaten me there?

I bypassed the extravagant breakfast options, settling for a simple chocolate chip muffin and orange juice.

Warren and Dustin were still seated at the table. Warren was practically shoveling an entire breakfast burrito into his mouth, while Dustin filled out what looked like a math worksheet.

"Good morning!" Warren greeted, his mouth full of food.

"Charming," I stated, taking my seat.

"Please tell me you did Polymer's shit," Dustin said, glancing up at me.

I shook my head. "Mine's not due until tomorrow. And I was hoping my math whiz of a boyfriend could help me out."

"Yeah, I was hoping so too. Speaking of your genius boyfriend, where is he exactly?"

I just shrugged, cracking open my orange juice.

Warren paused, slowly lowering his burrito back down to his tray. "Wait, he's not here with you?"

"No, I thought he was here with you guys."

"Maybe he came early," Dustin suggested, without looking up from his math worksheet.

Warren and I just exchanged glances.

"I'll go find him," Warren offered, standing up and tossing his mostly eaten burrito in the trash as he exited the cafeteria.

Lee was lucky to have a friend like Warren. Someone to hold his barf basket when he was sick, and to locate him when he went AWOL.

Although I wished it was me. If only I didn't have class in exactly 7 minutes.

I cracked open the packaging that surrounded my chocolate chip muffin, munching on it while I waited for Lee to spontaneously appear through the cafeteria doors.

He never did.

~*~

"A Medium Frozen Hazelnut Latte," I ordered, sliding a five dollar bill across the counter at Java Chip.

The girl behind the counter handed me my change, promising me it would be ready shortly.

I checked my phone while I waited, leaning up against the counter.

I'd been texting Lee all morning, but he had yet to return a single one of my texts.

After my first class of complete silence, I'd gotten incredibly worried. But Warren had assured me that he'd spoken to Lee this morning.

So my plan was to get my coffee and go track him down myself.

Warren had to tried to warn me against it. He wouldn't come right out and say anything, but something about his behavior seemed off after he came back from locating my boyfriend.

And I was going to get to the bottom of this.

"McKenna?" the boy behind the counter called out, holding up my cup of coffee.