Chap. 41

I slowly blinked awake, rubbing my hand across my bleary eyes.

I blinked a few times to focus before checking my phone to see the time.

The light blinded me for a few moments before my eyes adjusted to see that it was 2:43 AM.

Why the hell was I awake?

I tossed my phone back onto the nightstand, rolling over to my opposing side before letting out a long sigh.

And then I heard it.

A scream, one that I was sure had woken me in the first place.

I jumped out of bed, my heart pounding in my chest as I exited out of my room.

Emmett was doing the same from the room across from me, a confused, sleepy look on his face.

"Was that you?" he asked, in a deep, gravelly voice.

"Would I be standing here if it was?"

"Nice boxers," he commented, with a nod.

I glanced down to see that, in my haste, I hadn't put on any pants, seeing as though I sleep in my boxers.

We both looked down the hall, where McKenna's room was.

She must be having a nightmare.

Emmett started heading down the hall, a look of confusion still on his face.

I placed a hand on his shoulder. "I got this."

He raised his eyebrows at me.

"It's fine," I promised.

He just shook his head, holding up his hands in mock surrender and disappearing back into his room.

I let myself into McKenna's room, my heart pounding in my chest in anticipation.

This kind of situation was brand new to me. I couldn't imagine how she'd felt standing before me that day...

I gulped hard, letting the door close softly behind me.

Her sheets were wrapped tightly around her, and I slowly crept around the outskirts of her bed, bending down to where she was.

There was a sheen layer of sweat on her forehead, and I reached over and brushed the hair back from her face.

If it were a night terror, it would occur in a deep state of sleep. And she wouldn't remember having it the next morning. But it also only occurs for just a few minutes, so it should be over by now.

And then McKenna began to thrash around again, calling out something that I couldn't make out.

I suppose it's not a night terror.

I waited until she finished moving around, and then I bent over and placed my lips on her forehead. "McKenna," I whispered quietly. "It's okay, wake up."

It took about a minute of talking to her, but she eventually came around, a look of dazed confusion on her face.

I bent back down next to her bed, running my fingers up and down her arm. "Hey."

She ran a hand across her face, letting out a soft sigh. She was silent for a few moments, and then glanced over at me, her eyes glistening with tears.

"What can I do?" I asked, quietly.

"Will you sit with me?"

I climbed over her, sitting on the opposite side of the bed. I wrapped my arm around her shoulders, pulling her head close to me.