Chap. 33

Recap:

Lee came down from his manic episode and realized everything that happened. (He skateboarded off the roof. Parker was rude to McKenna. He was rude to McKenna.)

Warren called Lee in the middle of the night for a pick-up from a party. Warren was clean, but needed a ride home so he didn't get tempted. Lee had to use Parker's car, and he and Parker got into it over his treatment towards McKenna.

Lee found out that Parker's been under a lot of stress to make ends meet, and has been working as a sales associate for the Winstons (Emily's parents), and in turn they cut him a check for the bills. Emily doesn't know.

Parker drops a bomb on Lee and informs him that he's filed a lawsuit against Cornerstone due to their negligence. And it looks like it's headed to court. Lee relapses.

***************************************************************************************************

*trigger warning*

I fucked up.

I let the razor drop into the sink, my jaw clenched tight.

I really fucked up.

I turned on the water, letting my wrist run underneath it and watching the water run red.

"Lee?" I heard Parker's voice call from outside the door.

I felt the panic start to build up inside my chest.

He wasn't supposed to see me like this.

Weak.

Vulnerable.

"I need a minute," I called back, my voice thick.

I need more than a minute.

It wasn't supposed to be like this.

I wasn't supposed to be like this.

I turned off the water, grabbing a hand towel and wrapping it around my wrist.

I pressed my forehead to the wall, taking in a few deep breaths and letting them out slowly.

I needed to deal with my bleeding arm.

I heard my dorm room door open, and I tossed the hand towel to the ground, tucking my hands into my back pockets.

Parker came back in, his eyes searching my face.

Which I'm sure was swollen from crying.

"I'm fine," I promised, without looking at him. "I just want to be alone."

I couldn't look at him.

I couldn't look at the sink.

I couldn't look at the bloody towel on the ground.

All I could do is look at the floor, hoping he'd leave.

"I think we should talk about this," Parker said.

He couldn't mask the worry in his voice, the sense of urgency.

He was afraid that I was going to lose what little composure I had.

"I don't want to," I muttered. "I'd just really rather be alone."

"I'd really rather you didn't shut me out."

"I'm not shutting you out," I snapped, looking up to meet his gaze. "I'm just asking for a little privacy while I try and work through my emotions."

I could tell Parker was feeling troubled.

Confused.

"Okay," Parker agreed, with a nod. "I guess that's fair."