Chap. 53

I can always tell when I'm slipping.

I sat on my futon, my legs crossed and my back pressed against the wall. My sketch book was in my lap, my sketching pencil dangling from my hand.

But it wasn't helping.

I tapped the end of my pencil against the edge of my book, letting my eyes slide shut as I tried to block out the thoughts constantly flying through my mind.

Five minutes of silence. That's all I'm asking for.

I snapped my sketchbook shut, pushing myself to my feet and checking the time.

6:30 AM.

Well I did say that I'd meet McKenna in the morning.

I pressed my phone to my ear, calling her as I got dressed.

No answer. No surprise.

I called her again as I pulled on my shoes, leaving my dorm room.

"Lee, why are you calling me at 6:38 AM?" McKenna asked, her voice groggy.

"Because we're going on an adventure," I informed her. "And I'm going to need you to meet me downstairs."

She was silent for a few moments.

"Don't overthink this," I warned. "Just you and me. One day."

"Give me ten minutes," she grumbled, before the line clicked dead.

I nodded at Carl, who was sitting behind the desk downstairs in the boys' dorms, his feet propped up on the desk.

"And where are you headed off to so early?" he asked, as I signed out.

"Wherever I please."

He lowered his gaze at me.

Can't blame a guy for trying.

"To meet up with my girlfriend."

Simple enough.

A smirk spread across his face. "That's nice."

Something about his facial expression irked me, the tone of voice he used to almost talk down at me.

"Pity you don't know what that's like, but I'll tell you all about it when I get back," I snapped.

The smirk immediately fell off of his face.

I left him sitting there, heading out to the girl's dorms down the sidewalk.

McKenna wasn't downstairs when I got there, so I went back outside, the uncontainable energy inside of me making it impossible for me to sit in one of the lounge chairs.

One moment I was too fucking Depressed to pick up my sketching  pencil and the next I was too energized to sit in a lounge chair.

I ran my hand across my face, trying not to analyze myself. Because it would ultimately lead to nowhere.

The door pushed open behind me, and a wary looking McKenna stepped out.

"Good morning," she said, tilting her head to the side.

She was wearing a pair of dark blue jeans and a light pink sweater to help battle the cool morning air.

"Good morning," I answered, with a smile.

"So what is your plan exactly?" she asked, folding her arms across her chest as she fell into step alongside of me.

I don't think that I have one.

I just needed to be in McKenna's presence. She helped calm the raging storm inside of me, something that sometimes became too difficult for me to do on my own.