Chap. 60

"Right Lee?"

I glanced over at Jackson, who was staring at me, his eyebrows raised, along with the rest of the guys.

"I'm sorry, what?"

The rest of the guys cracked up and Jackson just rolled his eyes.

"You could at least pretend to pay attention."

"It comes with the friendship," I stated, with a shrug. "Take or leave it."

Warren elbowed Jackson, hard, before he had the chance to answer.

"I'd rather leave it," Jackson muttered. "But I guess I'll take it because you're a little shit and I want to hate you but can't."

I flashed him a crooked smile to which he just rolled his eyes, tipping back his drink.

"Order me a drink," I said to Warren.

"Like an alcoholic one?"

"No, like a Sprite."

He rolled his eyes. "You sure?"

I nodded, and Warren flagged down the waitress, ordering a drink.

I drummed my fingers on the table, my nerves tightly wound. The trial was coming up in just under a week, and I was starting to feel the physical effects of the stress.

And a drink should be enough to relieve that.

Our waitress came back with Warren's drink, and he slid it over to me as she disappeared again.

"Is this the first time Lee's drank with us?" Dustin questioned.

Warren nodded, and the guys raised their glasses to me.

They wouldn't be so happy when they saw how much of a lightweight I was.

"What are you drinking for?" Gerard asked me.

"I can't enjoy a drink?"

"Not you."

I rolled my eyes and he let out a laugh.

"Serious though, I've never seen you drink before. Did you just decide that tonight was the night?"

"I'm just loosening up a bit."

"Get your girlfriend to massage you or something then."

I took a swig as my drink as Justin leaned over. "Haven't you heard? Lee and McKenna are no more."

"Wait, what?" Gerard asked, raising his eyebrows at me.

"We're taking a break."

"That's relationship code for breaking up bro!" Jackson called out. "Hate to be the one to break it to you."

"Fuck off."

A few of the guys laughed as Jackson let out an annoyed huff.

"Is everything okay between you guys?" Gerard asked me, his voice full of sincerity.

"Yeah, we just needed a break."

"Well I hope you guys manage to work things out. I shipped you guys more than I ship Hazel and Augustus, and that's saying something."

"Yes Gerard, we all know about your TFIOS addiction," Warren commented, with a laugh.

"It's not an addiction," Gerard declined. "Just a slight obsession."

"I fail to see the difference," Justin stated, with a laugh.

"Well then clearly you're an uncultured swine."