2. ᴀ ꜱᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ʙᴇɢɪɴɴɪɴɢ

A/N: Thank you for the positive reception to the first chapter! I have a lot planned for this story already and thought I should update

A/N: Thank you for the positive reception to the first chapter! I have a lot planned for this story already and thought I should update. Updates will be twice a month until I have a better handle on things. Maybe weekly updates starting winter? I'll see how things go -w-;

[x]

Devoid of interests in earnest living and brimming with power hungry denizens, the palace is not a domain worth entering if weak at heart. Aspirations forget their humble beginnings as the greedy yearn for greater pastures. If you do not desire the precipice of power, then what is the point of stepping foot in this god forsaken territory?

Shall you attempt the climb, the path will be littered in thorns with a fall so steep you may very well perish due to a simple mistake. The rewards are boundless: riches, title, and power, but at what cost?

You aren't sure and have yet to formulate the answer, but you must attempt the charge as your eyes flutter open once more. When you view yourself in the mirror, you face your past-self. A vivacious, spirited girl that had barely scratched the surface to life. You were always spoiled by your siblings, parents, palace retainers, and the constituents of your father. It was safe to say that you were adored by even the citizens due to your involvement in charities, giving you a sterling reputation. The only enemies you'd have are those envious of your stature. Otherwise, you made allies along your rosy path of a privileged life.

And so, the initial announcement of marriage ripped apart your fantasies. You were given to the shinobi, who most of the country considered savages, but not even to the leader of the shinobi but rather to the second-in-line. Not even a first wife but a second wife and a stepmother at that.

It was an insult of the highest degree, and you had believed your mother behind it due to her strict caretaking of you. However, the night of her murder, she said something to you. 'Find the tree under the crimson sun. There lies your treasure and answers.' There was hope in her eyes that one day you would discover a truth and realize your errors.

You can only assume that your mother had something to do with your travel back in time, for she was the only one who held a magical affinity like that. If she wanted you to try again, it meant that she wanted you to scour each detail in this second chance for answers that would redeem you.

"Your Highness?" Your personal maid calls out and knocks on your door. "The Great Emperor has summoned you."

Your hand presses against the mirror as you finish inspecting your youthful appearance. Your twenty-eight year old mind now employs your twenty-one year old body, but what you experienced during a tenuous marriage has followed you here. The betrayal, the hatred, and the revelations have joined as well. At the thought of it all, determination strengthens your resolve.

You stand, "Yes, yes. I'm awake. Come dress me and we'll head over."

She opens your room and begins her work quickly. A fluffy and ostentatious dress is placed upon your form, not before tightening a corset around your waist. The fabric is tight amongst your upper body with the skirt plump and overbearing. It's a relief that the palace doors are wide enough to give women room to navigate with such a circumference. Lace and rubies decorate the dress along with jewelry of your own. Your outfits always held the price tag of a small country, something that ceases during your marriage to Tobirama.