17. ᴛᴇᴍᴘᴛᴀᴛɪᴏɴ

A/N: Writing the second part makes me able to add more layers to the first part of the story

A/N: Writing the second part makes me able to add more layers to the first part of the story. It's nice. I do have a good idea of everyone's motives so it's easy to finally go wild in expanding the story. As always, I appreciate the enthusiasm as it's my biggest motivator in writing c:

[x]

The minute your sister enters her carriage and is out of sight, your muscles loosen in their tension. You breathe out a long sigh. The rest of your conversation fizzled out before you could extract any information about their part in the war, but you are satisfied with what you were able to do.

"Dinner will be served in an hour." Hisa's announcement allows you to plan the rest of your day accordingly. You return to your room to write a customary letter of thanks to your sister for visiting. You also pen another letter for Duke Savan, raving about how excited you are for his impending marriage to your sister.

Once completed, the letters are sent out and to be delivered tomorrow. You recline in your chair as you stare at the couches where those two sat. You spent the most amount of time with Elric but after him it was Almira and Savan. Those three were the closest and the kindest to you.

It just goes to show that not everyone can be trusted. At least you know that what Elric holds is disdain for these people and not you. He has the least amount of power to even attempt a try at the crown and gains nothing with you here. It's the elder siblings that can gain something and plot your demise.

But you won't succumb to their devious intentions. Not this time.

You lay down as you wait for dinner. When Hisa arrives to escort you, you travel with a skip to your step over to the dining room only to find Hashirama. He sits there glancing through a ledger and taking a bite out of his soup.

"Oh?" He closes the ledger to give you his attention. "I thought you wouldn't be hungry after a spectacular lunch."

You scan the room, but only one other place setting is prepared. It's where you usually sit, and so you settle there. "I was only going to have a bit of soup before I retired for the day... Where's Tobirama?"

"He said he has a lot of work to catch up on."

Your lips purse, but you continue on with the pleasantries. "How's Mito?"

"Better! She is due to give birth any time soon," he chirps with his mouth full.

The awkward silence floats among the two of you. Clearly, you have something to say about your husband's absence. Hashirama remains quiet in anticipation, and finally, you speak on your observation. "So why does he have a lot of work to catch up on but you don't?"

Hashirama laughs at the annoyance that slips into your tone. "Hah! Well... all I can say is that he has good ears."

"What?" Your eyebrows furrow as you try to understand what he means until it dawns on you. You have always known him to have some paranoia. He definitely hovered near your door and overheard your conversation. "I see."