29. ᴍᴏʀᴇ ʀᴇᴠᴇʟᴀᴛɪᴏɴꜱ

A/N: Second chapter of the week

A/N: Second chapter of the week. Another one tomorrow, and then smut Friday yay c:

This is a really long chapter. A LOT of truths will be revealed!

[x]

Another gift starts your day. This time, it is a gown from your favorite seamstress in the capital. It's not too overdone with jewels, the corset is easier to breathe in, and the fabric feels soft and expensive. The perfect dress for perusing the castle, not too extravagant for a ball and not too casual. 

But no letter from your husband. You wonder if yesterday's candid subject has offended Tobirama, but he has never been one to shy away from confrontation. His lack of communication worries you, and you head to eat, riddled in a pensive state.

Breakfast is uneventful. Only your mother, Elric, and Almira join, but they are quiet while they eat. Almira leaves as soon as she finishes as does your mother. It's always you and Elric who occupy the dining hall last, having never much to do in regards to royal duties. 

He notices that you're on your third helping of sweets and chuckles, "You really like that bread. Do you not get enough of it back at the new place?"

You're mid-chew and chomp quickly to answer, "They serve it with every meal even at tea times."

"So your husband must really know you well."

"I suppose." You watch as he laughs, your mind reeling back to that time you caught him huffing out his ire about the arrangement. Since then, he has been more open and forthcoming about your new family. "I'm relieved to see you are finally receptive to him. Last time, you were quite hostile."

He shifts his face to the side to hide his embarrassment while scratching his head. "I mean, the shinobi did steal away my best friend from the palace. But they also saved you... That damn Utake. He was supposed to keep you safe from them, but all he did was endanger you like that."

"He was a snake within the palace."

"I should have known that a commoner that got this far would be that greedy." He shakes his head, "Nevertheless, I have changed my views on the shinobi."

"Good, because father is quite mad that Earl Devinson is still pining after me." This earns you his hearty laugh. "He was very clear that I need to stay with the Senju and maybe even have their children."

And his laughter dies as well as his smile. "Did he now?" A cold and foreign tone infiltrates his tone of voice, a deeper octave that shakes your heart in fear.

"He must have changed his mind," you continue, not at all deterred by his change, "though I distinctly recall that you came to my wedding to relay his message. You said that the Emperor wanted me to remain childless because the marriage was a sham."

His eyes do not stray from viewing you, yet you still cannot determine his true emotions. Just as your father said, Elric may be easy to get along with, but he isn't easy to understand. You just never thought him to be an active piece in the chess board.