Chapter 1- Prologue

For millennia's, the underwater realm has been imbued with a deep and powerful energy, a force that flows through every creature that calls the ocean home. This energy, it is said, comes from the divine will of a higher power. Many people named him Poseidon for his affinity for the water but his reach is far and wide. His teachings and his magic have been passed down from generation to generation, guiding the mermaids and other denizens of the deep through countless ages.

Yet, it is a mystery that despite his teachings being revered across the world below, his name has become so closely associated with the land of Greece and its Greek mythology. His influence, however, is felt far beyond its shores, spreading across the vast reaches of the underwater realm and beyond.

The underwater realm is divided into seven domains, each led by a guardian chosen by the sea itself. These guardians are charged with upholding the divine will of Poseidon through their sacred tasks of protection, regeneration, and enlightenment. Although the realm knows the divinity through a different name. Through their leadership, they ensure that their domain remains safe, vital, and enlightened for all who call it home.

There is only one queen who serves as the overseer of the entire realm, the guardians of each domain work together with her in council to make decisions and ensure the well-being of their merfolk and creatures. Their leadership is essential in maintaining the balance of the realm, and their devotion to the will of Poseidon is unbreakable.

Throughout the ages, each worthy Queen has hailed from the same lineage and family. Currently, Queen Serena is the beloved monarch who has reigned for 4 millennia. As her reign nears its end, preparations for the Mariana Consecration Ceremony have begun. It is on the heir's 3500th birthday, roughly equivalent to a 30-year-old human, that the new reign is ushered in.

Princess Yvaine, next in line for the throne, has been tirelessly honing her magical and divine abilities both in water and on land. On land, she has traveled to Hogwarts and other magical academies for training and political networking. Few know of the existence of mermaids and their realm, and even fewer understand the extent of their powers. Under the guidance of the 7 domain guardians in water and esteemed wizards on land, Yvaine has worked on perfecting her skills.

Despite her perfect concealment of her identity, she nearly exposed herself during her escapades in her fifth year when Ranrok loyalists and Isidora followers threatened to endanger or destroy the magical world. These incidents reinforce the need to protect the realm from the insatiable greed of human and wizard kind, whose fine intentions inevitably lead to their downfall. During these escapades, she grew close to Natty, Poppy, and Garreth, and two particular boys caught her attention: Ominis Gaunt and Sebastian Sallow.

After graduating with flying colors and passing her NEWTS, Yvaine was offered a teaching position at Hogwarts as a cover for continuing her training. When she is ready, she will be returning to the school for the position. With 3000 years under her belt, she has 500 more years to go before the ceremony. Yvaine is learning from her surroundings, students, colleagues, mentors, and is experiencing new sensations that she has never felt before, at least not as a human.