Chapter 5- Rekindled Spirits

I couldn't believe that we were now professors at Hogwarts as I settled down on a plush chaise lounge by the warm fireplace in Ominis' room. He slumped on the other end, holding a book titled "Introduction to the Dark Arts" by Noctua Gaunt.

"So, how have you been since our last owl?" Ominis asked, running his fingers through his hair, which caused the strands to fall in a disheveled yet alluring way. Everything about him was always so polished except for now. He must've just arrived this evening.

"Well... considering I just sent one two weeks ago, not much has changed," I chuckled, momentarily captivated by the way his arm muscles flexed as he placed the book on a side table. "I spent time with my family, helping out in our community, and collaborating with community leaders to make a positive impact." Trying to be as vague as possibly without arousing further questions.

"And what about you?" I asked quickly, genuinely curious about Ominis' recent endeavors. He leaned back, "Oh, just a bit of traveling in the past year, exploring different parts of our magical world and preparing for my role as the Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor," he declared with a hint of theatrical flair.

I couldn't hide my surprise. "Really? I would've thought you'd steer clear of that class." Ominis chuckled.

"Well, I did initially decline wholeheartedly, but Headmistress Weasley convinced me otherwise. She saw the unique perspective I could bring to the position, showcasing the consequences of the Dark Arts and teaching students to resist its allure or treat it with respect. Plus, it doesn't hurt that my family, the Gaunts, are direct descendants of Salazar Slytherin and have authored numerous texts on the Dark Arts and Relics," he explained. I nodded, understanding the logic behind the decision.

"Well, if you can go directly to the source, why not use that knowledge to guide and educate the next generation, right ?" I remarked with a playful grin.

"What class are you teaching? Herbology?" Ominis inquired, his voice laced with curiosity.

I shook my head with a grin. "Nope, not Herbology. I'll be taking on the Study and Care of Magical Beast! I'm incredibly excited, especially after all the escapades we had with poachers and freeing animals during our student years. But, uh, let's keep that a secret from Weasley," I chuckled, reminiscing about the mischievous times shared with Poppy and Natsai.

Ominis leaned closer, his face twinkling with a hint of mischief. "Ah, so you have a way with both magical creatures and untamed beasts, I see," he said, his voice dropping to a husky whisper.

A blush crept onto my cheeks as I met his gaze, feeling an unexpected flutter of excitement in my chest. "Well, I suppose you could say that," I replied, a playful smile playing at the corners of my lips.

Ominis chuckled, his laughter a melodic sound that echoed through the room. "You've always had a special touch, Yvaine. I have no doubt you'll excel in your new role," he said, his voice filled with admiration.

The room seemed to crackle with an unspoken connection, a tension that hinted at something more than friendship. As the fire flickered in the background, casting dancing shadows on the walls, I couldn't help but wonder if our paths were destined to intertwine in ways beyond the confines of Hogwarts.

"I appreciate you actually writing back unlike Sebastian. It takes him weeks to respond," Ominis stated, his deep voice resonating in the room. "Sometimes, he randomly shows up at the manor if he's not traveling."

"Aww, I'll have to give him a hard time about that," I said nervously, my gaze involuntarily drifting to Ominis' broad shoulders, accentuated by the way his shirt hugged his form.