Chapter 31- Practice Makes Perfect

7th Year- Hogwarts

"He what!?" Poppy exclaimed with annoyance. The Durmstrang boy that I had planned on going with to the ball was caught kissing one of the Beauxbaton witches outside of the Three Broomsticks.

"It's just as well. I have no business being on a dance floor. It's like my legs weren't made for dancing, barely walking," I mused to myself, trying to hide my disappointment.

"The nerve of some people! My grandmother always went on about how men have wandering eyes, but this is ridiculous," Poppy said, her anger evident as she restrained herself from hexing the poor boy. She always knew how to comfort me, and I was grateful for her presence.

We were in the middle of discussing the ball when Sebastian and Ominis walked out into the courtyard and headed towards us.

"Lovely to see you ladies as always," Sebastian greeted us with his charming self.

"I second that," Ominis added with a smirk.

"Perhaps you two could whip up a spell that will turn Dmitri into a frog," Poppy said with an eye roll, explaining the whole drama to them. Ominis had to calm down a boiling Sebastian, who seemed to have been getting more hotheaded lately, at least around me.

"I just can't believe it. I mean, it's you. You practically have all these boys pining all over you. It's becoming a bit annoying, really, having half our class ask me if anyone's asked you yet," Sebastian stated, genuine concern mixed with a touch of jealousy?

"That can't be. Is this true, Ominis?" I turned towards my close friend, who showed a bit of reluctance, but his eyes revealed a tinge of jealousy as well.

"It has become a bit tiresome, and it's disheartening to hear them objectify the female students as if they have nothing better to do," Ominis admitted.

"Apologies to be of trouble," I said with a chuckle and a playful shove. "and sorry to disappoint, but I will not be attending the ball now."

"Aww, now come on, Yvaine, you promised," Poppy whined, her excitement evident as she had been looking forward to the ball for weeks.

"You can't let a bloke like that stop you," Sebastian frowned, a hint of jealousy still lingering in his voice.

"Well, I don't have a date, and I... I don't even know how to dance," I stammered, trying to come up with any excuse to avoid going to the ball.

Sebastian was about to speak, but before he could, Ominis chimed  "I can escort you to the ball... if you'd like?" he said with a touch of timidness. Sebastian's frown deepened at Ominis's offer, clearly not thrilled with the idea.

My heart skipped a beat as I looked at Ominis, feeling a mix of surprise and gratitude for his unexpected proposal. I admired the sweet earnestness in his eyes, and I couldn't help but be drawn to the gentle warmth that radiated from him.

However, I couldn't ignore the subtle tension between Ominis and Sebastian, the unease palpable between the two.

OMINIS POV

My heart was racing, and it felt like my entire world revolved around Yvaine's response.

"You'd do that for me, Ominis?" she said, her surprise evident in her voice. I could feel her gaze on me, and it made my heart flutter even more, but I tried my best to remain composed in front of everyone else.

I'd do anything for her... she's one of my best friends... we're just friends, right?

I questioned myself internally, trying to push away any thoughts that hinted at the possibility of something more.