Chapter One: The Source

Malfoy Manor was gloomier than usual as Severus and I approached the gates. He moved his lips to my ear, whispering softly. "Just stick by me and everything will be alright, love. I promise."

I swallowed thickly, nodding at his words as the gates opened and we began walking to the front door of the manor, entering the gloomy building without knocking. His hand clutched mine tightly as we made our way upstairs to Lucius and Narcissa's room, finding them huddled together as shouts could be heard through the manor. Clearly my father was angry about something, though we didn't yet know what.

"Y/n? Severus?" Lucius whispered as he left his wife's side to open the door further, pulling us inside the room and shutting the door behind us.

"W-what are you doing here? D-Does the Dark Lord know you are here?"

"Not yet," I answered. "I wasn't exactly sure how to announce myself... or where to find him."

Narcissa walked toward us, reaching out as if to embrace me before lowering her arms once again.

"Y/n," she greeted.

I rolled my eyes playfully, pulling her into a hug as she breathed a sigh of relief. The hug didn't last long as we both knew there were other matters to attend to.

"So... where is he?" I asked, focusing on keeping my voice steady.

"Just down the hall," Narcissa answered, her voice shaking. "Wormtail returned without you and well... your father wasn't too happy about that. He assumed you'd come right away."

I nodded. "I needed time to think."

"Of course," she replied, taking my hand in hers. "Are you certain about this?"

I scoffed. "No, but what choice do I have?" I pulled away. "Let's just get this over with. Can you bring me to him?"

She nodded and reluctantly left the room, Lucius by her side, as they led us toward what appeared to be a dining room.

"My Lord?" Lucius began.

"What?!" my father shouted, sending a chill running down my spine as I jumped backward and Severus's grip tightened around my hand.

Voldemort turned and his eyes locked with mine, taking in the small shake of my stance as his shout vibrated off the walls.

"Y/n?" he whispered, slowly making his way toward me. I took a step behind Severus without even realizing it and my father stopped in his tracks as I clutched Severus's arm.

"Do you fear me, my child?"

I scoffed. "You're seriously going to ask me that question?"

"Please, my child... Step into the light. Allow me to really see you."

I hesitantly looked at Severus before taking a few steps forward, releasing his hand.

"You... you look just like your mother," he whispered.

"M-my mother?"

He chuckled softly. "Yes, child. You had a mother. She was beautiful just like you. We met during my search for followers."

"Did you love her?"

He chuckled nervously. "I wish I could say yes to that, dear child... but I am incapable of love. I was conceived under the effects of a love potion, thereby making me unable to love anyone... until you came along."

"What does that even mean?" I asked, exasperated.

"Your mother and my relationship was purely... a means of passing the time. She was getting out of a bad breakup and I found her beautiful, though her mind intrigued me the most. I'd never met a witch quite as brilliant as her."