Chapter 33: If Only...

I knew of the prophecy before you graduated Hogwarts.

I looked at him as the words left his lips, confusion crossing my face as my heart began to race. "You swore to me... y-you... you said you didn't know who my father was."

"I didn't know the prophecy was about you, my darling, that much is true but... I was there when your mother gave Albus the prophecy."

"M-my mother? She couldn't... Severus..." I let out a breath as the realization settled over me. "My mother was a sear... and you knew."

He nodded. "Even your mother didn't know who the prophecy was about. At the time of your... conception... she had no idea who your father truly was or what he was planning. It wasn't until we learned who your father was that Albus and I connected the dots and learned who the prophecy was truly about."

"So you've heard it then?"

He nodded.

"And you never thought to tell me?"

"We wanted to protect you from that... we didn't want that pressure on you, my love."

I scoffed. "Do not call me that." I climbed out of the bed, grabbing a sweatshirt and pulling it over my head.

"Darling, please don't leave." He quickly got out of bed and pulled a shirt over his head as I left the room and he quickly followed me. It was in the early hours of the morning and most of the house was still asleep. I reached the door and he grabbed my wrist, turning me around to face him.

"Darling, listen to me please."

"Let go of me, Snape," I hissed, pulling my wrist away from him and stepping outside.

A black dog approached the house, transforming into Sirius as it approached. "What's going on, pup?"

"Nothing," I replied, continuing to walk.

"What the hell did you do, Snivellus?" I heard Sirius yell from behind me.

I sighed and turned around, raising my wand, aiming it at Sirius. "This doesn't concern you and we have no need of the childish insults," I hissed, turning to face Severus, my wand still aimed at Sirius. "And you..." I slowly moved the wand in front of me, aiming it at him now. "You need to leave."

"Darling, I-."

"I said leave."

He looked down, nodding as he disappeared in a cloud of black smoke, returning to Spinner's End. If only I'd known Narcissa and Bellatrix were arriving at the same time, perhaps I would've been the one to leave. Perhaps if I'd known keeping him at the burrow would've avoided an unbreakable vow, maybe I wouldn't have overreacted. I suppose there's no point looking back on it and wondering what could've happened. I suppose they would've found him anyway, for one can often underestimate what a mother would do for her child. I would soon learn this very important lesson as my godson was set on a path he couldn't come back from.