Chapter 9: Dumbledore's Army

I reached Dumbledore's office, stashing the invisibility cloak in a nearby nook that no one would find, before knocking on the door. It swung open, revealing Minera, Umbridge, Albus, Harry, Kingsley Shacklebolt, Marietta Edgecomb, Percy Weasley, and the Minister of Magic. Minerva smiled softly when she saw me but I could see the worry behind her eyes.

"Professor Y/l/n," the minister greeted, nodding his head slightly. "What can we do for you?"

"I heard the commotion just outside and was informed Harry had been brought to the headmaster's office. What's happened?"

"Mr. Potter was found conspiring against the minister and we found this!" Umbridge exclaimed as she thrust a note in my hands. Dumbledore's Army. "And these," she added, her voice sounding colder as she handed me the photos that had once been attached to the mirror in the Room of Requirement.

"Where did you get these?" I asked, trying to seem completely unaware of the DA.

"We found them in their little training room," Delores answered. "Care to tell me how a photo of yourself as a child ended up in that room, along with a photo of you and several deceased witches and wizards?"

"You mean witches and wizards who died fighting Voldemort?" I replied, coolly.

"Don't say his name!" she shrieked.

I rolled my eyes and she continued.

"Do you know how these photos ended up there?"

"No."

"Funny. Mr. Potter seems to have the same answer when asked about the photos and this little... army."

I looked down at the photos once more as Dumbledore asked for evidence and Umbridge began discussing the students' first meeting in Hogsmeade. When she could provide no further evidence Marietta Edgecomb was asked to confirm the meetings had been going on for six months but the girl simply shook her head.

"What do you mean by shaking your head, dear?" Umbridge asked, though her eyes betrayed the calm tone she was trying to take with the girl.

"I would have thought her meaning was quite clear," Minerva answered, growing annoyed with Umbridge's line of questioning.

"There have been no secret meetings for the past six months. Is that correct, Miss Edgecombe?"

The girl nodded.

"But there was a meeting tonight!" Umbridge shrieked.

"There was a meeting, Miss Edgecombe, you told me about it, in the Room of Requirement! And Potter was the leader, was he not, Potter organized it, Potter — why are you shaking your head, girl?"

"Well, usually when a person shakes their head," Minerva hissed, "they mean 'no.' So unless Miss Edgecombe is using a form of sign language as yet unknown to humans —"

This seemed to anger Umbridge and she grabbed the girl, who was already terrified as it appeared some sort of jinx had been placed on her for betraying the DA. Umbridge began shaking the girl and I reached for my wand but Albus cleared his throat, giving me a warning look as he grabbed his own. The look in his eyes was clear. Do not get involved. Do not anger her any further.

Umbridge jumped back, as Kingsley moved forward.

"I cannot allow you to manhandle my students, Dolores," Albus hissed, an anger in his eyes I had rarely seen.

Kingsley was able to calm Delores before she snatched the list from my hands and showed it to Cornelius. "See what they've called themselves... Dumbledore's Army."