Chapter 17: Department of Mysteries

A woman's voice caught my attention from the orb and I quickly transfigured the orb into a pen before stuffing it into my cloak for safe keeping. I turned to Harry, who was looking down at the orb in his hand just as Hermione called his name and stared horrified at something I couldn't see. I made my way over to them and turned to see a dark figure standing a few yards away.

"Where's Sirius?!" Harry hissed as the figure slowly moved closer.

"You know you really should learn to tell the difference between dreams..." the figure hissed, raising his wand to the black mask he wore. I knew I recognized the voice but I'd never heard it quite so angry and dripping with malice. It wasn't until the mask disappeared that I realized who it was. "...and reality," Lucius hissed. I swallowed thickly, holding the other children behind me as Lucius approached. "You saw only what the Dark Lord wanted you to see. Now... hand me the prophecy."

I moved in front of Harry as Lucius was growing nearer and I was growing worried.

Lucius chuckled at this."Got yourself a protector, have you, Potter?" His eyebrows raised, a mocking pout on his lips. "It appears you'll lose her as well." He raised his wand and I could feel Harry move beside me but I held him back, not allowing him to move in front of me.

"You hurt her and I'll break it!" Harry spat, clutching the prophecy tightly in his fist.

Severus. It was a silent prayer, not even a whisper, yet I hoped he'd hear me. We need the Order.

Lucius chuckled at Harry's words as a strangely familiar laughter filled my ears, though it was far more maniacal than anything I'd ever heard.

"He knows how to play..." There was a mocking lilt in her voice. "Itty... bitty... baby... Potter."

Bella

She slowly approached, moving beside Lucius.

"Bellatrix Lestrange?" Neville asked, shocked.

"Neville Longbottom, is it? How's mum and dad?"

"Better now they're about to be avenged," Neville hissed, raising his wand as Bella did the same, her eyebrows raised in warning. One wrong move and it was clear she would not hesitate to kill them.

"Now, let's just everybody calm down... shall we?" Lucius hissed, raising his hands. "All we want is that prophecy."

"Why did Voldemort need me to come and get this?" Harry hissed from behind me as I held him back.

"You dare speak his name? You filthy half-blood!" Bella shouted.

"It's alright," Lucius soothed. "He's just a curious lad, aren't you?" He paused, looking down to the prophecy in Harry's hand. "Prophecies can only be retrieved by those about whom they are made. Which is lucky for you, really." His eyes fell on me. "But what I can't seem to figure out... is you, dear." Several Death Eaters closed in around us as Lucius continued. "What connection must you have with Sirius Black and Mr. Potter to put yourself at risk?"

I swallowed thickly but I didn't respond as Bella grew impatient.

"Get on with it, Lucius!" she hissed and he turned to Harry.

"Haven't you always wondered what was the reason for the connection between you and the Dark Lord, hm?" Lucius slowly inched closer and my grip tightened on Harry's arm. "Why he was unable to kill you when you were just an infant?" His palms were raised as if in surrender but I knew that was far from the case. "Don't you want to know the secret of your scar? All the answers are there, Potter... in your hand. All you have to do... is give it to me... then I can show you everything."